Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iZotope FCPX latency and lag

When I am using iZotope Audio Plugins for FCPx there is a massive lag so I have to adjust Clip handles so audio isn't cut off. On export audio is shifting again. Is there any solution to compensate this lag in FCPx? izotope says on its website your DAW has to compensate for the latency, but I guess FCPx is not able to, right? Is there any way to edit audio from a VIDEO-Clip in the timeline in the standalone editor of iZotope? I guess the only way is to export the audio part of the video, edit and reimport, replace in the timeline and go on.. takes a lot of time.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 14, 2023 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2023 1:01 PM

I have Izotope 9 and 10 for MacOS and I found it's usage within FCP to be rather limited. What I do myself, I suspect is what you've been doing as well from the sounds of it which takes a little longer but the outcome is better.

I edit the video, export the audio, close FCP, and open iZotope 9 or 10 (depending on what I am doing, I've found depending on situation 9 can handle some things better than 10, and vice versa) and drag the wav file into iZotope and do my edits (dehum, denoise, whatever) and then once I've rendered it and it sounds the way I want, I export that as a mp3 file to my desktop. I then close off iZotope, open FCP and import that audio into my timeline.

One bug I have found, and I had this on my intel 19' Mac Pro as well as my current M1 Mac Studio ultra is that the sound or rather, coreaudio seems to get locked sometimes by one of the two apps so you will either not have sound at all, or the sound will sound muffled as if slowed down or a deeper pitch. Very strange but with FCP or/and iZotope closed, terminal command ( command sudo killall coreaudiod ) releases the audio so it's able to be used again without issues.

In iZotope there is a preference checkbox to release coreaudio when not in use but I'm not sure how well it actually works as the only fix I have found is that terminal command. Like you said, this is the longer way of doing things but I suspect iZotope is one of those classic Windows world apps that they say plays in the Mac world but it's nowhere near the same. Hope you find a faster way!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2023 1:01 PM in response to PeteHikers

I have Izotope 9 and 10 for MacOS and I found it's usage within FCP to be rather limited. What I do myself, I suspect is what you've been doing as well from the sounds of it which takes a little longer but the outcome is better.

I edit the video, export the audio, close FCP, and open iZotope 9 or 10 (depending on what I am doing, I've found depending on situation 9 can handle some things better than 10, and vice versa) and drag the wav file into iZotope and do my edits (dehum, denoise, whatever) and then once I've rendered it and it sounds the way I want, I export that as a mp3 file to my desktop. I then close off iZotope, open FCP and import that audio into my timeline.

One bug I have found, and I had this on my intel 19' Mac Pro as well as my current M1 Mac Studio ultra is that the sound or rather, coreaudio seems to get locked sometimes by one of the two apps so you will either not have sound at all, or the sound will sound muffled as if slowed down or a deeper pitch. Very strange but with FCP or/and iZotope closed, terminal command ( command sudo killall coreaudiod ) releases the audio so it's able to be used again without issues.

In iZotope there is a preference checkbox to release coreaudio when not in use but I'm not sure how well it actually works as the only fix I have found is that terminal command. Like you said, this is the longer way of doing things but I suspect iZotope is one of those classic Windows world apps that they say plays in the Mac world but it's nowhere near the same. Hope you find a faster way!

iZotope FCPX latency and lag

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.