How to downgrade Ventura 13.3.1 to the previous version

I made on April 8 an update of Ventura 13.3.0 to 13.3.1 but appeared problems of internet connections (WiFi and Ethernet are unstable) not to mention several Apps become incompatible with the new OS. I would like to go back to the previous version. Unfortunately I find no link allowing me to download this old version of Ventura. Where do I find it and how do I perform this downgrade ?

iMac 27″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Apr 14, 2023 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 1:14 PM

babowa wrote:

Unless you have a backup made before the upgrade, you cannot. Macs cannot go "backwards" unless you wipe the hard drive and then reinstall from your backup. Previous versions are not available for downloads.

FWIW, that's not entirely true. Some previous versions can be downloaded through the Terminal.

You can find out which ones by running this command in the Terminal…

softwareupdate --list-full-installers

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2023 1:14 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

Unless you have a backup made before the upgrade, you cannot. Macs cannot go "backwards" unless you wipe the hard drive and then reinstall from your backup. Previous versions are not available for downloads.

FWIW, that's not entirely true. Some previous versions can be downloaded through the Terminal.

You can find out which ones by running this command in the Terminal…

softwareupdate --list-full-installers

Apr 23, 2023 9:17 PM in response to cldjr

Before you do that, be aware you need a backup of your current set up, you would have to create a bootable installer, erase your Mac, install the earlier version, and then migrate your data from the backup. It's a lot of work, things can go wrong. You might be better off getting help with the current version.

See this article: https://www.macworld.com/article/671318/how-to-downgrade-macos-revert-back.html

If you want to do all that, you can get the older version by running this command in the Terminal…

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 13.3

Apr 23, 2023 1:15 PM in response to kristofferb

kristofferb wrote:

Me too... this is incredibly frustrating and has now taken many hours away from my work productivity. Frustrating Apple would release this update without thoroughly testing its compatibility with other software.

FWIW, it's not up to Apple to test compatibility. It's up to users to make sure their software is compatible before upgrading.

How to downgrade Ventura 13.3.1 to the previous version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.