Unable to update to macOS Ventura

why isn't it allowing me to upgrade

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 10:21 AM

I've had similar issues in the past and hadbetter luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently had some 3rd party software that interferes with the downloading and installing so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

Also you must have a minimum of 50 GB of free space (more if possible) on your boot drive in order to run the installer.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2023 10:21 AM in response to robcorco

I've had similar issues in the past and hadbetter luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently had some 3rd party software that interferes with the downloading and installing so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

Also you must have a minimum of 50 GB of free space (more if possible) on your boot drive in order to run the installer.

Apr 15, 2023 1:35 PM in response to robcorco

The important element in using Safe Mode as @ Old Toad has suggested.

Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading.

It will only load the Minimum amount of Core Apple Processes to allow the the computer to function at a reduced Level of Performance

Frequently but not always, Third Party Security Software, which is totally useless in macOS will or can interfere with the upGrade Process.

Additionally, exactly what previous version of macOS is installed on this computer ?

For better results, it is suggested to be running a Full updated previous version of macOS before attempting the upgrade

Links below covering the 2 previous versions of macOS plus the current version of Ventura

About the security content of macOS Ventura 13.3.1 - Apple Support

About the security content of macOS Monterey 12.6.5 - Apple Support

About the security content of macOS Big Sur 11.7.6 - Apple Support

Unable to update to macOS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.