iPhone 📱 12 battery

I’ve an iPhone 12 which is 8 months old. The battery health now is 91% and done with 337 charge cycles.With the recent 16.4.1 update, the battery tends to drain faster than it used to be. Does anyone face this issue? iPhone batteries are very notorious in terms of rendering battery support, and all these periodic updates makes things even worse! I’ve tried; reset all settings, backup restore, and lastly turning on/off optimised charging.At times,the battery stops charging at 80% irrespective of optimised charging status and shows “ charging on hold”.At times, it bypasses that to reach 100% and this has been happening intermittently. I’ve had iPhones in the past but never faced this issue.I believe in draining and charging to full.Now apple says, that’s not fair as their batteries are meant to retain 80% charge and 500 cycles, if that number falls and phone has limited warranty then it qualifies for free battery replacement.I’m so upset with my phones battery that I feel like thrashing it, but that would be an expensive repair. What are my options? Battery or replace phone ?

iPhone 12

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 2:06 PM

They have a nominal rating, but there's no long term guarantee that it's going to meet the performance target. Some do better and some do worse. But worst case is that the battery can be replaced. If it falls below that 80% target under 500 cycles within the limited warranty or with AppleCare+, that should be eligible for complimentary replacement from Apple as a warranty issue. If that happens after the warranty period, there really is no recourse other than to play for a battery replacement service, which is considerably less expensive than a new iPhone.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2023 2:06 PM in response to Shamun0424

They have a nominal rating, but there's no long term guarantee that it's going to meet the performance target. Some do better and some do worse. But worst case is that the battery can be replaced. If it falls below that 80% target under 500 cycles within the limited warranty or with AppleCare+, that should be eligible for complimentary replacement from Apple as a warranty issue. If that happens after the warranty period, there really is no recourse other than to play for a battery replacement service, which is considerably less expensive than a new iPhone.

Apr 15, 2023 10:15 PM in response to Shamun0424

Sometimes we worry too much about these things. I had an Apple device (a Mac) where one tool indicated that right out of the box the battery health was at about 94%, but I didn't use it much on battery power and it never went below 80% (where it would be eligible for battery servicing) until last year. I know some people would have taken it immediate to get it checked out, but I knew that in and of itself that it wasn't eligible for replacement on that basis.

I also have an iPhone battery that's still reporting 89% battery health after 4+ years and where one tool indicates over 770 cycles. That's been amazing really. But I've seen both early decline and batteries that just won't quit.

iPhone 📱 12 battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.