How to import/refresh media backuped up on a NAS to an Apple Music Library

Hi,

I have a windows 10 computer with a CD that I've used it to rip CDs to iTunes. This library gets expanded over time as I get new music. The library and media is stored on:

Intel: F:\MusicLibrary\iTunes\...

> In some cases, where iTunes doesn't find artwork, I've downloaded an image of the artwork and added it to the album by Selecting the Album>Get Info>Artwork>Add Artwork.

> In some cases where I have a lot of albums by one artist, I've added sorting information to put the albums in chronological order by Selecting the Album>Get Info>Sorting and changing the sort field for the album name.

I back up the F volume regularly to a Synology NAS so the media files are at:

NAS: Netbackup/Intel/Volumes/F/MusicLibrary/iTunes...

I have a Mac Studio that is attached to the local network and I want to import the music stored on the NAS to Apple Music and I'll need to refresh this periodically as music gets added to the media folder by the Intel backup.

So what I've tried so far is:

On Mac Studio:

Music> Quit

OPTION > Music> Create Library: MacintoshHD/Users/myid/Music/Music NAS SAVE

Music> Quit

OPTION > Music> Change Library: MacintoshHD/Users/myid/Music/Music NAS/Media

Music> Preferences> Files> Uncheck “Copy Files to Music Media Folder when adding to library”

Music> FIle> Add to Library... NASName/Netbackup/IntelHostName/Volumes/F/MusicLibrary\iTunes OPEN

This added the music in the backup to the library and kept the sorting information. Only artwork that I manually showed up on the Mac Studio.

On the Intel, I manually added artwork for an album (Add Artwork) that had previously gotten its artwork from iTunes (and didn't show up on the Mac Studio), and also added another CD and manually added it's artwork. I see the album on the Intel iTunes and can play it. Ran a backup and verified the new CD was on the backup volume. I reran the "Add to Library" on the Mac Studio and it didn't pick up the artwork or the CD from the backup.

On the Mac Studio, I now tried deleting the new library, deleting trash, changing Music library to the old library. All the newly imported stuff is now gone from Music. As above, I created a new library, selected the new library, turned off copy media, did an Add to Library. It now imported the music that was originally there and the artwork that I had added, but still didn't pickup the new CD that was added. (This seems very odd to me).

So, does anyone have any suggestions of how I can refresh (or delete/add) the library on the Mac Studio? I can fix all the artwork on the Intel side and it seems that will transfer over to the Mac Studio once that is fixed. What I don't understand is why it didn't link the added music files that are in the media directory?

------------------------------------------------

ANSWER TO QUESTION:

OK - so the problem is that I needed to disconnect the NAS location in Finder and Reconnect it so that macOS would rescan the volume for the files that were added. Having done, that the "Add to Library" does find the new CD that was added.

I'm going to go ahead and ask this, even though I've already answered the question, in case it might help anyone else having this kind of issue.

Mac Studio, macOS 12.6

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 2:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 3:19 PM

Clarification:

Don't need to delete the library to refresh it's media when the backup copy is updated.

Just disconnect and reconnect the NAS, then run Music>File>Add to Library... Select NAS media directory OK.

Similar questions

1 reply

How to import/refresh media backuped up on a NAS to an Apple Music Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.