My battery charging percentage was "dropping" even WITH MAC BOOK PRO-16 Intel processor plugged in while Using software. WHY? [I usually want a full batter so I can unplug and change to another location]

why is "battery health" not allowing laptop charging while plugged in to adapter & at the as same time the batter% y charged is DROPPING? Intel MacBook Pro -16, 2020 purchase

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 8:40 PM

Those additional details are very important.

In addition to @TheLittles' suggestion, make sure you are using the 97W charger (the information will be on one of the narrow edges) and the charger is connected directly to the laptop since any adapters or docks may not allow the full power of the charger to reach the laptop.

Try connecting the charger to another USB-C port especially on the other side of the laptop.

Also disconnect all other external devices in case one of them is causing a problem and draining power.

Unplug the charger from the electrical outlet for a minute in order to reset the charger's internal circuitry.

Here is an Apple article with tips for troubleshooting USB-C charging issues:

If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac laptop - Apple Support

Have you tried rebooting the laptop? macOS needs to be rebooted once in a while in order to reset things.

If the system is running hard with the software, then it may not allow the laptop to charge the battery during times of hard work. Perhaps close some apps to see if that helps as well.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2023 8:40 PM in response to batphone7799

Those additional details are very important.

In addition to @TheLittles' suggestion, make sure you are using the 97W charger (the information will be on one of the narrow edges) and the charger is connected directly to the laptop since any adapters or docks may not allow the full power of the charger to reach the laptop.

Try connecting the charger to another USB-C port especially on the other side of the laptop.

Also disconnect all other external devices in case one of them is causing a problem and draining power.

Unplug the charger from the electrical outlet for a minute in order to reset the charger's internal circuitry.

Here is an Apple article with tips for troubleshooting USB-C charging issues:

If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac laptop - Apple Support

Have you tried rebooting the laptop? macOS needs to be rebooted once in a while in order to reset things.

If the system is running hard with the software, then it may not allow the laptop to charge the battery during times of hard work. Perhaps close some apps to see if that helps as well.

Apr 15, 2023 7:02 PM in response to TheLittles

it's not an iPhone... it's A MAC Book Pro-16 Intel chip purchased 2020. the soft ware has changed how batteries charge.... this is from the apple help knowlegebase:

How battery health management helps

The battery health management feature in macOS 10.15.5 is designed to improve your battery's lifespan by reducing the rate at which it chemically ages. The feature does this by monitoring your battery's temperature history and its charging patterns.

Based on the measurements that it collects, battery health management may reduce your battery's maximum charge when in this mode. This happens as needed to ensure that your battery charges to a level that's optimized for your usage—reducing wear on the battery, and slowing its chemical aging. Battery health management also uses the measurements to calculate when your battery needs service.

While battery health management benefits your battery's long-term lifespan, it can also reduce the amount of time your Mac runs on one battery charge when capacity limits are applied. If your priority is making your Mac laptop last as long as possible before recharging, you can turn the feature off

When battery health management is turned on, your battery's maximum charging capacity might be limited. Although the feature is designed to improve your battery's lifespan, the limited maximum capacity might update your battery status menu to indicate a need for service. Your Mac calculates when to recommend service for your battery based on battery health management being continuously enabled.

How to control the battery health management feature

Battery health management is on by default when you buy a new Mac laptop with macOS 10.15.5 or later, or after you upgrade to macOS 10.15.5 or later on a Mac laptop with Thunderbolt 3 ports.

If you want to turn off battery health management on a Mac laptop with an Intel processor, follow these steps:

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu , then click Battery.
  2. Click Battery in the sidebar, then click Battery Health.
  3. Deselect "Manage battery longevity".

Apr 15, 2023 7:05 PM in response to batphone7799

batphone7799 Said:

"My battery charging percentage was 'dropping' even WITH MAC BOOK PRO-16 Intel processor plugged in while Using software. WHY? [I usually want a full batter so I can unplug and change to another location]"

-------

See if anything her helps...

Troubleshooting Mac Charge:

Refer to the following....

A. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Based Macs Only): Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. Updates), system configurations (i.e. for Power) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets.

B. Try a New Charger:

C. A Few Links to Refer to for Power:

Apr 15, 2023 6:58 PM in response to batphone7799

By the link at the top left of this page it appears you have already seen the Apple article about the Battery Health Management used by macOS...here is the link again:

About battery health management in Mac laptops - Apple Support

The new battery health management system introduced with an update patch to macOS 10.15.x changed how batteries are charged. If you don't like this new method, then you can uncheck it to disable it so the laptop reverts back to the previous or traditional charging behavior.

FYI, the new battery health management is supposed to help users who leave their laptop connected to the charger most of the time so that the battery is exercised, otherwise users must remember to use the laptop with the charger disconnected once in a while to exercise the battery. Unfortunately Apple does have the battery drain and stay at 80% for a while which I personally find undesirable. Apple says the battery management is supposed to learn a user's behavior with the laptop, but I personally disagree. I would be fine if the battery was only allowed to drain 5-10% at most for a short period of time, but 80% is just too much in my opinion. For people who pick up & go randomly, the new management is far from ideal.

Apr 15, 2023 7:08 PM in response to batphone7799

batphone7799 Said:

"mine was plugged in and the BATTERY CHARGE WAS 'DROPPING' it was in the40's% down from the 80's% percent charged when I turned it on .... my question is WHY would battery charge continue to be dropping with it plugged in and using the power accessory for the heavy software I was using...?"

-------

About the Mac Charge:

These is like an inconsistency within the Mac's charge settings...

So, Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Based Macs Only): Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. Updates), system configurations (i.e. for Power) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets.

Apr 15, 2023 6:32 PM in response to batphone7799

batphone7799 Said:

"My battery charging percentage was 'dropping' even WITH MAC BOOK PRO-16 Intel processor plugged in while Using software. WHY? [I usually want a full batter so I can unplug and change to another location]"

-------

Report Back the iPhone's Battery Health:

Apple recommends you get a new battery, once the Battery Health reaches 80% or lower. When the Battery Health is 80% or lower, it is time for a new battery.

1. Go To: Settings
  2. Tap: Battery
  3. Tap: Battery Health
  4. View: [the percentage]
  5. Is it 80% or less?  If so, it is time for a new battery.

Apr 15, 2023 7:08 PM in response to HWTech

mine was plugged in and the BATTERY CHARGE WAS "DROPPING" it was in the40's% down from the 80's% percent charged when I turned it on .... my question is WHY would battery charge continue to be dropping with it plugged in and using the power accessory for the heavy software I was using...?

I just wanted a full charge to I could change rooms and sit outside and use the MAC BOOK PRO-16 on the patio.... this defeated the purpose of plugging it in ..... IT is usually off a & locked up and turned on a couple of times a months for heavy software use...

...So frigging annoying.

Apr 15, 2023 10:37 PM in response to TheLittles

Will check these two reset tomorrow, i appreciate your solution— it may be the fix i need.

i used systems update of mac software and restarted computer prior to heavy software and restarted the MacBookPro multiple times and have reset “battery health” settings in systems settings..and got it charged — then unplugged it to use elsewhere.

i performed all the hardware trouble shooting and used three different usb3 inputs, and have it plugged into a good quality APC Power back up module before i put my question to the community.

Thank you, if suggestions aren't effective, I’ll take it to the Apple store nearby.

My battery charging percentage was "dropping" even WITH MAC BOOK PRO-16 Intel processor plugged in while Using software. WHY? [I usually want a full batter so I can unplug and change to another location]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.