Can't pair third-party Bluetooth mouse with my old MacBook Air but can only with my new MacBook Air

I can't pair a third-party Bluetooth accessory (mouse) with my old MacBook Air (os BigSur 11.1) but was able to do so on my new MacBook Air (os Ventura 13.0) even without the USB plug-in receiver provided. How is that so? Why is it working even without it? 

And why the other old MacBook can't find it but can see other devices including my new MacBook?

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 2:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 4:16 AM

I found the problem ... the mouse has a sort of button in the top middle section (which also double as a light indicator in other models). One needs to press and hold it until the mouse's name appears (is discovered) on the Bluetooth devices list and thus be connected.

The only annoyance is that every time one shuts off the mouse (to save battery) or whatnot, it needs to be rediscovered and thus repeating the tedious procedure over again. Then you'll get an additional same item on the devices list which accumulates unless you tell it to 'forget' those redundant names. Anyone knows how to fix that?

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2023 4:16 AM in response to BL2323

I found the problem ... the mouse has a sort of button in the top middle section (which also double as a light indicator in other models). One needs to press and hold it until the mouse's name appears (is discovered) on the Bluetooth devices list and thus be connected.

The only annoyance is that every time one shuts off the mouse (to save battery) or whatnot, it needs to be rediscovered and thus repeating the tedious procedure over again. Then you'll get an additional same item on the devices list which accumulates unless you tell it to 'forget' those redundant names. Anyone knows how to fix that?

Apr 17, 2023 1:24 PM in response to BL2323

Hello BL2323,

To help us get a better understanding of the issue, we’d like to ask a few questions.

1. What happens when you try to connect that mouse to your old MacBook Air? Do you receive an error? If so, what does the error say?

2. You mentioned that the old MacBook Air shows other devices; just to confirm, are you able to connect other Bluetooth devices or accessories to that Mac without an issue?

The above information will help us plan how to proceed.

Please also check out the information outlined in the following link to ensure the correct process is being used to connect Bluetooth accessories and devices, so we can make sure there's no issue there: Connect a Bluetooth device with your Mac

Connect a Bluetooth device with your Mac

Connect your Mac with a Bluetooth keyboard, mouse, trackpad, headset, or other audio device.

1. Make sure the device is turned on and discoverable (see the device’s documentation for details).
2. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Bluetooth.
3. Select the device in the list, then click Connect.

If asked, click Accept (or enter a series of numbers, then press Enter).

You need to connect your Mac with the device only once. The device remains connected until you remove it. To remove a device, Control-click its name.

You can also connect a Bluetooth device to your Mac by selecting Bluetooth status icon in the menu bar and selecting the device.

Thanks!

Apr 18, 2023 8:58 AM in response to Brittany1416

1. Nothing happens when I try to connect that mouse to the old MacBook Air? But if I select the wireless option on that mouse and use the USB plug that's provided, it works fine.

2. I don't have other devices to connect. Those other Bluetooth devices or accessories maybe from other users within the condo building.

3 Have already tried "Connect a Bluetooth device with your Mac" before.

Can't pair third-party Bluetooth mouse with my old MacBook Air but can only with my new MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.