Can't pair a third-party Bluetooth mouse with my old MacBook Air but can with my new MacBook Air

I can't pair a third-party Bluetooth accessory (mouse) with my old MacBook Air (os BigSur 11.1) but was able to do so with my new MacBook Air (os Ventura 13.0) even without the USB plug-in receiver provided. How is that so? Why is it working even without it?

And the other old MacBook can't find it but can see other devices, even my new MacBook?

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 2:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 4:18 AM

I found the problem ... the mouse has a sort of button in the top middle section (which also double as a light indicator in other models). One needs to press and hold it until the mouse's name appears (is discovered) on the Bluetooth devices list and thus be connected.

The only annoyance is that every time one shuts off the mouse (to save battery) or whatnot, it needs to be rediscovered and thus repeating the tedious procedure over again. Then you'll get an additional same item on the devices list which accumulates unless you tell it to 'forget' those redundant names. Anyone knows how to fix that?

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2023 4:18 AM in response to BL2323

I found the problem ... the mouse has a sort of button in the top middle section (which also double as a light indicator in other models). One needs to press and hold it until the mouse's name appears (is discovered) on the Bluetooth devices list and thus be connected.

The only annoyance is that every time one shuts off the mouse (to save battery) or whatnot, it needs to be rediscovered and thus repeating the tedious procedure over again. Then you'll get an additional same item on the devices list which accumulates unless you tell it to 'forget' those redundant names. Anyone knows how to fix that?

Can't pair a third-party Bluetooth mouse with my old MacBook Air but can with my new MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.