face id

Sometimes my phone's lock is open with face id and sometimes face id doesn't catch, I have to open with passcode. I reset face id and add it again but it's the same problem.

Face ID is working perfect to open any app but it is happened only while opening phone lock

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 5:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 5:42 AM

I suspect your FaceID is getting locked out for security and you are required to enter your passcode to reactivate it. This can happen for many reasons but the most frequent causes are

• Too many failed Face ID attempts. Either clean the top of your screen around the camera area, or it may be caused by seeing too many unknown faces (your children?). It can also occur from random touches on the screen while in your pocket.
  • Multiple presses on the side button. From memory, 5 quick presses will lock Face ID as a security function, intended for use where you expect the phone to be taken and held to your face by an attacker.
  • Something has caused the phone software to restart while in your pocket. Unusual but possible.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2023 5:42 AM in response to helpful1134

I suspect your FaceID is getting locked out for security and you are required to enter your passcode to reactivate it. This can happen for many reasons but the most frequent causes are

• Too many failed Face ID attempts. Either clean the top of your screen around the camera area, or it may be caused by seeing too many unknown faces (your children?). It can also occur from random touches on the screen while in your pocket.
  • Multiple presses on the side button. From memory, 5 quick presses will lock Face ID as a security function, intended for use where you expect the phone to be taken and held to your face by an attacker.
  • Something has caused the phone software to restart while in your pocket. Unusual but possible.

face id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.