Blue Yeti Pro wih Garageband weird behavior

I use a recording set up with a Blue Yeti Pro using the cable that came with the microphone plugged directly into my 2011 MBP (16GB 2T SSD) running High Sierra and Garageband 10.3.5

Most settings make the recordings have hum unless I increase the input volume in system settings (still called Preferences in my set up)

The recording seem to be clipped off at around 40db.

Cutting back the gain seems to suddenly make a recording like I am sanding in a different room

Cutting down `Sys Pref>Sound>input volume causes a big drop as well.

I am attaching two files to show the clipping. These are not the normal clipping of going outside he range which I have done in the past. The top and bottom of all wave forms will no go past the place where you see the very straight lines.

My 2017 Flexgate MBP is worse. In sound it recognizes the microphone, open `Garageband and the letters respond, but go to record and it says (No Input Device Selected) restart, SMC, Vram, safe mode, reinstall both system and Garageband

Anyone have any ideas?

As always, Thanks in Advance.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 9:38 AM

My 2017 Flexgate MBP is worse. In sound it recognizes the microphone, open `Garageband and the letters respond, but go to record and it says (No Input Device Selected) restart, SMC, Vram, safe mode, reinstall both system and Garageband .

On this anyway, on that Mac, have you gone to Sys Prefs>Security & Privacy>Privacy tab>Microphone, then approved Apps to use your Mic?

Or is it running 10.13 also?

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2023 9:38 AM in response to Mindzman

My 2017 Flexgate MBP is worse. In sound it recognizes the microphone, open `Garageband and the letters respond, but go to record and it says (No Input Device Selected) restart, SMC, Vram, safe mode, reinstall both system and Garageband .

On this anyway, on that Mac, have you gone to Sys Prefs>Security & Privacy>Privacy tab>Microphone, then approved Apps to use your Mic?

Or is it running 10.13 also?

Apr 16, 2023 6:46 PM in response to BDAqua

No it is up o date or as a 34 year Mac vet, "It has been downgraded to the performance issues that plagued Microsoft users for years."

Your privacy fix worked. thank you for that.

Wonder why Audaciy in High Sierra mutes the mic when record is hit. Maybe I need to install and older system in the third partition I have.

Blue Yeti Pro wih Garageband weird behavior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.