Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Time Machine Ventura - only allows manual backups

I have a an iMac backing up to an 18TB external drive. The TM backups include those from my previous iMac as well as backups from this machine since new. My large external media drive (plus Dropbox and Google Drive folders) are excluded from backups.

I started getting Disk Full errors and Time Machine would not complete automatic backups.

It used to be that TM deleted older backups to make new ones (although the backup drive is by no means full) as well as allowing selective opening and deletion of backups to files level.

I can continue to do manual backups (showing there is sufficient space).

I've read a number of reports of this but no simple solutions, other than wiping the drive and starting from scratch. I would prefer to keep my old machine backups (from old machine and also older backup history) although I might be able to transfer the old machine ones to another drive, as long as I can subsequently restore files from them if I want to).

Can anyone explain:

• what has actually happened to stop me making automatic backups (the drive obviously has space and is correctly formatted for TM to be able to make manual backups)?
  • whether there is any fix for the issue?

Many thanks

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 10:42 AM

Hi there!

To begin, take a look at If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine - Apple Support.

In that article, it will include steps such as running Fist Aid on the backup disk.

If the issue continues, test in safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support.

Safe mode can help you to determine whether an issue is caused by software that loads as your Mac starts up.

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

Let us know if the issue continues, or you have any questions!

Jack

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2023 10:42 AM in response to henleygoldnet

Hi there!

To begin, take a look at If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine - Apple Support.

In that article, it will include steps such as running Fist Aid on the backup disk.

If the issue continues, test in safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support.

Safe mode can help you to determine whether an issue is caused by software that loads as your Mac starts up.

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

Let us know if the issue continues, or you have any questions!

Jack

Time Machine Ventura - only allows manual backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.