You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I recover my iPhone after erasing by accident after transferring over to a new phone.

Can I recover my iPhone 11 after erasing by accident after transferring over to a new phone. I transferred data, to a 14 pro and didn't mean to transfer service to the cloud because I didnt use the cloud for my contacts and notes I wanted to erase the new phone start over but erased the wrong iphone Can I recover or at least recover contacts from my physical sim on old phone?

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 11:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 11:52 AM

iCloud+ has 2 independent functions. iCloud backups, and iCloud sync. It’s confusing because they both have the same name prefix. But they have no connection with each other. Go to Settings/[your name]/iCloud. You will see a bunch of switches (with iOS 16 also tap Show All). When you turn on a switch that data type will sync to iCloud. If you do this on multiple devices that share an Apple ID the selected data will sync to all of those devices. 

You can also turn on iCloud Backups. This will back up your phone every night if the phone is plugged in, connected to Wi-Fi and locked.

But note that anything that you sync by the first method will be excluded from the iCloud backups.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 16, 2023 11:52 AM in response to jodifromut

iCloud+ has 2 independent functions. iCloud backups, and iCloud sync. It’s confusing because they both have the same name prefix. But they have no connection with each other. Go to Settings/[your name]/iCloud. You will see a bunch of switches (with iOS 16 also tap Show All). When you turn on a switch that data type will sync to iCloud. If you do this on multiple devices that share an Apple ID the selected data will sync to all of those devices. 

You can also turn on iCloud Backups. This will back up your phone every night if the phone is plugged in, connected to Wi-Fi and locked.

But note that anything that you sync by the first method will be excluded from the iCloud backups.

Apr 16, 2023 11:32 AM in response to jodifromut

A SIM on an iPhone does not contain any data, so you can’t recover anything from it.

If you followed the best practice of enabling automatic backups, or you did manual backups of the old phone, then you just restore a backup.

If all of the data is on the new phone you can back up the new phone, then restore that backup to the old phone.

Apr 16, 2023 12:12 PM in response to jodifromut

jodifromut wrote:

I guess I thought the physical sim would have my contacts ?

Contacts are hosted on your email server. So when you add an email account to your phone the contacts, and also Calendar, Notes & Reminders come along for the ride. The email server holds the master copy and the hone syncs to it.

On old dumb phones contacts were stored on the SIM, but SIM contacts lack most of the fields supported by smartphones.

Apr 16, 2023 12:27 PM in response to jodifromut

Hi!

Yes, you can recover lost or deleted data from an iPhone 11. There are several ways to do this. One of the ways is to use an iPhone data recovery software like iPhone Data Recovery or easeus MobiSaver. These programs can help you quickly scan iPhone 11 data and recover it quickly. To use iPhone Data Recovery, you must first download and install the software on your computer. Once installed, launch the program and connect your iPhone to your computer via USB cable. After connecting your iPhone, select the file types you want to recover and start scanning the device. Once the scan is complete, you can preview the recoverable data and select the ones you want to recover. Finally, click on "Recover" button to save the recovered data on your computer.

Another way to recover deleted data is to restore it from an iTunes or iCloud backup if you have one. If you have backed up your data to iTunes or iCloud before accidentally deleting it, you can restore the data from there. To restore data from an iCloud backup, follow these steps:

1) Turn on your device. You should see a greeting screen. If you have already configured your device, you must initialize its contents before following these steps to restore it from the backup.

2) Follow the on-screen setup steps until the Apps and Data screen appears, then tap Restore from iCloud Backup.

3) Sign in to iCloud with your Apple ID.

4) Choose a backup. Check the date and size of each backup and select the most relevant one.

5) When prompted, sign in with your Apple ID to restore apps and purchases.

6) After choosing a backup, the transfer starts. Keep connected to the Wi-Fi network and wait for the progress bar to appear and complete. Completing the progress bar can take from minutes to an hour depending on the backup size and network speed.

As for the contacts on your physical SIM, you may be able to retrieve them if you have saved them on the SIM. Otherwise, you may have to use any of the above mentioned methods to recover your contacts.

I hope I helped you!

Apr 16, 2023 12:31 PM in response to jodifromut

No, it will only restore what is on the new phone to the old phone. However, if you synced data to iCloud from the old phone you can sync that data back to the old phone by going to Settings/[your name]/iCloud and turning on the switches.

But it won’t restore contacts; to recover the contacts just log in to the email account(s) that you had on the phone.

Can I recover my iPhone after erasing by accident after transferring over to a new phone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.