back up my icloud on an external hard drive

How do I back up my icloud on an external hard drive?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 2:18 PM

See the following Apple Support article for information on archiving iCloud data: Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

or depending on what you are wanting to do, be aware that if you do not have Optimize Storage turned on for iCloud Drive, there will be a local copy on your Mac of all iCloud Drive data and that will be included in a Time Machine backup.

And if you do not have Optimize Storage turned on in Photos Settings (or Preferences) there will be a local copy of all iCloud Photos on your Mac and that will be included in a Time Machine backup.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2023 2:18 PM in response to hibiscus99

See the following Apple Support article for information on archiving iCloud data: Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

or depending on what you are wanting to do, be aware that if you do not have Optimize Storage turned on for iCloud Drive, there will be a local copy on your Mac of all iCloud Drive data and that will be included in a Time Machine backup.

And if you do not have Optimize Storage turned on in Photos Settings (or Preferences) there will be a local copy of all iCloud Photos on your Mac and that will be included in a Time Machine backup.

back up my icloud on an external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.