Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Other volume in AFPS Startup Snapshot is taking up 400+gb that i cannot use

Hi, I have a APFS SnapShot volume that has a 'Other Volume' which is 431.67GB! (See 3rd screenshot).

It looks like it's the same size as the data in the 4th screenshot. How can I free up this Other Volume????

I had 2 partitions originally, Partition 1 was 500gb that I used with the OS/documents/downloads etc, and the other Partition 2 was completely empty. I then selected the 2nd empty Partition and pressed '-' to delete the partition so I could merge the 2 partitions together but now I have this huge mess of a 'Other Volume' that is not letting me do anything. Please help.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 6:45 PM

DarkFruit wrote:

diskutil list shows 500gb and 494gb. How do I access that 494gb? Is my question not clear?

It doesn't. It shows the the drive is 500GB. The boot and recovery files take up 6 GB, leaving 494GB.

Your Data takes up 414GB.

12 replies

Apr 17, 2023 4:30 AM in response to DarkFruit

DarkFruit wrote:

I had 2 partitions originally, Partition 1 was 500gb that I used with the OS/documents/downloads etc, and the other Partition 2 was completely empty. I then selected the 2nd empty Partition and pressed '-' to delete the partition so I could merge the 2 partitions together

Perhaps you never actually did that last part. That other 500 GB you are looking for is simply unallocated disk space.

You will need to erase the entire hard drive and reinstall the operating system. This time, use the default settings.

Other volume in AFPS Startup Snapshot is taking up 400+gb that i cannot use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.