You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Related Article: Apple security releases

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have enough space but I’m being told there’s not enough space to update the software on my Xr. What should I do?

I have enough space but I’m being told there’s not enough space to update iOS 16.4.1 on my Xr. What should I do?

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 4:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2024 11:40 AM

I have the 13 mini. It says I have used 1.3 gb of 5gb available but will not allow me to back up my phone. I have tried turning on/off. Had it plugged in and hooked to wifi and it still comes back saying insufficient cloud storage. What kind of update needs more than 3gb. It seems like its a ploy to get me to buy more cloud storage. Whats the deal?

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 4, 2024 11:40 AM in response to Chance08

I have the 13 mini. It says I have used 1.3 gb of 5gb available but will not allow me to back up my phone. I have tried turning on/off. Had it plugged in and hooked to wifi and it still comes back saying insufficient cloud storage. What kind of update needs more than 3gb. It seems like its a ploy to get me to buy more cloud storage. Whats the deal?

Apr 17, 2023 4:26 AM in response to SusanAdobea

If you have already checked that you have enough storage space available on your iPhone XR and you're still getting the error message that there's not enough space to update your device to iOS 16.4.1, there are several things you can try:

1. Free up some additional space: Even if you think you have enough storage space, it's possible that iOS needs more free space in order to install the update. Try deleting some unnecessary apps, photos, or videos to create more free space on your device. You can also try offloading unused apps, which will remove the app but keep its data and documents, to free up space.
  2. Update using a computer: If you have a computer with the latest version of iTunes installed, you can try updating your iPhone XR using iTunes. Connect your device to your computer using a USB cable, open iTunes, select your device, and click the "Check for Update" button to download and install the latest iOS version.
  3. Reset your device's settings: Sometimes, resetting your device's settings can resolve issues that prevent the update from installing. To do this, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. Note that this will erase your personalized settings, but it won't delete any of your data or media.
  4. Try updating in recovery mode: If all else fails, you can try updating your device in recovery mode. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. Press and hold the Side button and either volume button until the slider appears. Drag the slider to turn off your device. Press and hold the Side button again until you see the recovery mode screen. Follow the prompts in iTunes to update your device.

If none of these solutions work, you may need to contact Apple support for further assistance.

Apr 17, 2023 4:34 AM in response to SusanAdobea

Try to free up iPhone device storage see this Apple articles below:

If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support (UK)

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage?

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support

See this Apple article: Upgrade to iCloud+ -> Upgrade to iCloud+ - Apple Support

See also: iCloud+ plans and pricing -> iCloud+ plans and pricing - Apple Support

Manage your iCloud storage -> Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

I have enough space but I’m being told there’s not enough space to update the software on my Xr. What should I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.