Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I replaced my AirTag battery and it's not working

The Find My app told me the battery in one of my AirTags was low. I followed the instructions for replacing it and used Duracell 2032 batteries with a 2030 expiration date. I say batteries because I tried two different batteries from the package. The first time, I got it to make a sound once after putting the battery in, then nothing. I tried another new battery. No sound at all. I pressed on the battery and followed all of the instructions I found on Apple's website. Kind of disappointing. Any ideas?

AirTag

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 6:20 AM

I hope you hadn’t tossed them yet. If they are the child safety batteries by Duracell that is why they are not working. They should be fine in other devices. Many suggest wiping them with alcohol. I couldn’t find any alcohol at home so I tried hand sanitizer. And now my Duracell works in my AirTag

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2023 6:20 AM in response to DianeKE

I hope you hadn’t tossed them yet. If they are the child safety batteries by Duracell that is why they are not working. They should be fine in other devices. Many suggest wiping them with alcohol. I couldn’t find any alcohol at home so I tried hand sanitizer. And now my Duracell works in my AirTag

Aug 5, 2023 1:00 AM in response to DianeKE

Hi DianeKE,

I was looking around for some replacement batteries for my AirTags and came across some comments around the web similar claiming that the Duracell branded CR2032 batteries don't seem to work in AirTags. Long story short, apparently the Duracell ones have a bitterant coating on them that causes this problem. See Apple's How to replace the battery in your AirTag article for more on this. Some people have overcome this issue by cleaning the coating off the battery by various means.

Hope you find this helpful.

Apr 17, 2023 9:38 AM in response to DianeKE

I'm going to answer my own question because I'm not sure how to delete it. After spending considerable time attempting to replace the battery in an AirTag, I posted this question. After posting, I was putting things away in my "junk drawer" and found another package of 2032 batteries. This time, they were Energizer. I tried one of those and it worked just as it was supposed to. Apparently, I got a bad package of Duracell batteries. The problem was not with the AirTag.

Oct 18, 2023 1:39 PM in response to DianeKE

There’s a small coating on the Duracell battery preventing functionality. No idea why.

Simple Solution: Use sandpaper (scratch the surface) on the edge and back of the Duracell battery. I used a piece of metal.

(see where the apple nodes make contact to get specific about where to scratch the surface).

Your air tag will function after this.

Feb 1, 2024 5:57 PM in response to DianeKE

The Duracell, CR 2032 batteries with the “child protective, bitter coating“ never work in AirTags. The first time I actually used sandpaper on the surfaces in order to remove that coating. After doing that the battery worked. Of course I didn’t especially like having a chemical lithium battery whose surfaces have been sanded, so I went and bought Eveready instead of Duracell. If you find Duracell batteries that do not have that coating on it, and the package will tell you, they will work fine.

I replaced my AirTag battery and it's not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.