Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Mid 2009 macbook Pro, 5,5 want to upgrade to a newer OS other than Leopard 10.5.8

I have a mid 2009 macbook Pro as stated above.

running Leopard 10.5.8 2.26 GHz Processor

A1278

EMC 2326

8GB ram DDR3 1067

160GB HDD

SN W8***66H

I would like to install newer software, maybe Yosomite or El Capitan. according to apple site, my macbook should be able to run either OS, with El Capitan the newest OS I can run.

There is no recovery process available on the macbook Pro. I've tried all the combo of key hold downs. the only one that works is the option key. it brings up the HDD and that's the only bootable device.

I have a nice SSD 512GB drive I would like to install. I do not have access to original disks that were shipped with the macbook. my son doesn't know where they are.

please anyone, can you give me a place to start. the macbook runs, but it's awful! Safari is version 5.06.

if I can get the newer OS on the 512GB drive, that would be great.

Thanks to anyone who read this post.

ilikesteel

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 12:00 PM

Similar questions

11 replies

Apr 19, 2023 12:18 PM in response to marsello1946

Hi there marsello1946,

Since you are unable to use macOS Recovery to update the macOS on your MacBook Pro, we would recommend using a bootable installer in order to install a newer version of macOS. This is where you use an external drive or secondary volume as a startup disk from which to install the Mac operating system.

This article walks you through how to create and use a bootable installer of the version of macOS you wish to install: Create a bootable installer for macOS

We hope that helps!

Apr 23, 2023 8:11 AM in response to marsello1946

everyone,

mid 2009 macbook pro. should be able to run El Capitan.

I have the new SSD installed.

I have a bootable installation of el capitan flash drive that I made using the apple.support information.

insert the flash drive.

I boot holding the option key down.

I receive the USB picture on the monitor with el capitan. click on the picture to start the installation process.

recovery utility appears on the monitor. (this is sort of a plus, because this feature was not availabe in Leopard.)

use disk utility to initialize the SSD and format correctly.

my Wi-Fi is OFF, the image on the upper tool bar is blank, no wifi lines.

set date using terminal for the years 2014-2019. that's 6 times I had to reset the date and resume install.

I keep getting the pop up saying this application cannot be verified. everyone seems to think it's a certificate problem, even the chat with the apple tech guy said that.

I have a perfectly capable 2009 mac of running for many more years and I cannot get a valid copy of el capitan installed on it. that's insane.

please any other possible solutions?

weary frank!

Apr 20, 2023 9:12 AM in response to marsello1946

Hi marsello1946,

Looking into this situation further. You're going to need OS X 10.7 Lion first, as Snow Leopard OS X 10.6 - 10.6.8 is no longer available in the Apple Online Store, which OS X Yosemite requires having at least.

OS X Yosemite - Technical Specifications

General Requirements
* OS X v10.6.8 or later
* 2GB of memory
* 8GB of available storage

Purchase OS X Lion (10.7) - Apple

More info available here about How to download macOS - Apple Support

Take care!

Apr 21, 2023 11:22 AM in response to marsello1946

Hey marsello1946,

Prior to installing El Capitan, were you able to purchase and install OS X Lion? In other to install El Capitan, the Mac needs at least have OS X v10.6.8 or later installed. Since OS X v10.6.8 isn't available, OS X Lion which is 10.7 will need to be installed first.

To review more information about the requirements needed to install OS X El Capitan, click here: OS X El Capitan.

Take care.

Apr 21, 2023 10:25 AM in response to Ben_Z1

Ben_Z1,

I made a bootable flash drive for El Capitan as you suggested.

when I tried installing El Capitan on my newly formated 512 SSD, I get the following pop up:

""This copy of the install os x el capitan application can't be verified. it may have been corrupted or tampered withduring downloading"".

I tried changing the date to the years 2014 and 2015. I'm stuck. apple doesn't make it easy to resurrect old hardware that's perfectly in great condition.

any other ideas?

Thanks for responding!!!!!!

frank

Apr 21, 2023 12:43 PM in response to marsello1946

Thanks for getting back to us marsello1946,

To clarify, we are understanding you would like to install OS X 10.11 El Capitan onto a fresh SSD that has not had any OS X or macOS versions previously installed on it, but that SSD is installed on a computer that was previously running OS X 10.5.8.

If this is correct, we would recommend getting in touch with Apple Support directly for further guidance. They will have the resources necessary to guide you through the specific process you should be taking. You can reach them here: Get Support.

Have an excellent weekend.

Apr 21, 2023 3:38 PM in response to Lindsay_B.

I just chatted with apple support, here's the conversation:

I explained I wanted to install el captian on an mid 2009 macbook pro.

he said he could advise on some steps, but cannot gaurentee a resolution and support is limited for obsolete classified hardware more than 7 years old. I may need to refer you to sel help resources or our apple support communities.

he asked if I can acess the terminal utility prior to booting. I said yes. he said, in some cases it's related to the date since the certificate expired. he said to try and set date to sometime in 2016. disconnect any networking too. other than that he refers me to the apple community for further assistance.

I did change the date, but did not disconnect from the WiFi.

I guess I'll go through the steps again and see what it brings.

frank

Apr 28, 2023 3:13 PM in response to marsello1946

(SOLVED sort of)

Well, every way I tried to get a copy of El Capitan, downloaded and

made bootable has failed. I tried to change the date to an older date

before trying the install. That did not work. I happened to have an

old Imac 2008, 20” that is running El Capitan and runs very well.

I thought I had a solution. I’ll format the new SSD, use Recovery

Window. Re-install the El Capitan OS on the SSD. NO way. When the

re-install goes out on the network to verify, it stops the install

The El Capitan Logo appears with the big X, it says downloading

additional software for the install. When that completes, I get a .3

second flash of a pop up window that cannot be read. Then the

Recovery Window reappears. And that ends the install.

My last effort was using CCC. I had a backup of the Imac made with

CCC. I took the CCC backup, installed the SSD in the 2009 macbook Pro

and formatted again, Then booted from the backup CCC disk.

It installed the clone of the Imac drive on the 2009 macbook Pro. It

worked. I had installed El Capitan on the 2009 macbook Pro in a

convoluted way, but it works. I would still like to hear of a way to do a clean install of El Capitan. before too long, monterey, big sur, ventura will have the same problems. apple, it's very sad what you're doing to MAC community.

frank

That’s it, I could not find a way to install El Capitan normally

because apple date stamped the certificate to make it uninstallable

after a certain date. Makes me think about some of the apple products

that I have and are getting old.

Mid 2009 macbook Pro, 5,5 want to upgrade to a newer OS other than Leopard 10.5.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.