Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

IPhone 13 battery drain and heating problem

I have been using my iPhone 13 for about an year now and ever since I updated to ios16 my battery has been draining very fast and recently with the iOS 16.4.1 update it’s gotten worse and now the phone heats up too

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 6:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2023 9:38 PM

Mine is doing all of that also. I have done everything listed here to save battery. It’s overheating in my house that I have a comfortable 73° I go to bed with 100% battery I wake up and it’s down to 40%. Something is definitely wrong with these I 13 phones. I’m seeing too many issues all over the Internet.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2023 9:38 PM in response to SravanKrA

Mine is doing all of that also. I have done everything listed here to save battery. It’s overheating in my house that I have a comfortable 73° I go to bed with 100% battery I wake up and it’s down to 40%. Something is definitely wrong with these I 13 phones. I’m seeing too many issues all over the Internet.

Apr 17, 2023 11:21 PM in response to Pri_3107

Protect & Prolong life of your iPhone's Battery:

1. About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch ...
  2. Batteries - Maximising Performance - Apple (IN)
  3. iPhone Battery and Performance

Try some of these options too.

1. Avoid Screen Mirroring
  2. Put on Low Power Mode
  3. Put Auto Lock On (1 min):- with low power mode it will be 30 Sec
  4. Put Auto Answer Off
  5. Disable Push notifications for apps you do not use often
  6. Keep your iPhone Face down to prevent notifications to light up screen
  7. Enable Auto Brightness:- Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Auto-Brightness [Enable]
  8. Manually lower brightness from Control Center
  9. If you Want to watch continuous Video. Stream it on TV or a Monitor
  10. Don't force close apps; Apps which are not on frontend screen are paused by the system to save energy. Apps require more energy to re-launch. Apps which are open in the background use large memory is a myth and quitting them is counterproductive
  11. Location services to be allowed only while using the app
  12. Set your iPhone to fetch email and calendar data from internet less frequently
  13. Turning off Background App Refresh 
  14. Charge before it drops below 20-30%
  15. Try connecting to trusted Wifi where ever available in stead of Cellular
  16. Enable Airplane mode in areas with bad cellular and wifi coverage. Your phone keeps trying for reconnection with the missing / weak network. This uses lot of energy
  17. Switch off Wifi & Bluetooth while in Roaming or Not in Range
  18. Enable "Wifi Assist" : Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data > Wi-Fi Assist [Enable]
  19. Periodically Check your Battery Health (Settings > Battery > Battery Health)

Apr 17, 2023 11:22 PM in response to Pri_3107

Pri_3107 wrote:

now the phone heats up too

I am not aware of the ambient temperature in which you are using the iPhone. However --> Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable ...

Store the device where the temperature is between -20º and 45º C (-4º to 113º F). Don’t leave the device in your car, because temperatures in parked cars can exceed this range.

Use iOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Low- or high-temperature conditions might cause the device to change its behavior to regulate its temperature. Using an iOS device in very cold conditions outside of its operating range might temporarily shorten battery life and could cause the device to turn off. Battery life will return to normal when you bring the device back to higher ambient temperatures. Using an iOS device in very hot conditions can permanently shorten battery life.

Jul 9, 2023 10:12 PM in response to vpitt63

vpitt63 wrote:

Have you tried the encrypted backup and restore?

The links appear again below:

Link for how to Back up and Restore: Back up and restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or to iCloud - Apple Support

Link for putting iPhone in DFU Mode: If you can't update or restore your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

Note: The above material is not my work. Any credit should go to Michael Brooks1  who originally posted it here: Jun 27, 2023 8:55 AM in response to Jubalub. 

Please report back wether performing the above process made the battery drainage worse, fixed it, or if you noticed no change at all. 

I hope this is helpful. Good Luck!

IPhone 13 battery drain and heating problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.