Facetime HD camera for macbook pro zoomed in a lot more after Ventura 13.3.1

Hi

I regularly facetime my friend who uses an iPhone, so I always use the vertical camera mode on my mac.

After updating yesterday, my camera is so zoomed (Only specifically in vertical mode), and it's very distracting.

Before I updated, the camera did not do this. I've sought out solutions to this problem all day, and can't find anything. I contacted support, and they had never heard of this. All the investigation I've done has led to to believe this is a software issue, possibly a bug with the new update.

It makes the picture quality a lot worse.

Oddly enough, the camera works fine in landscape. But it's an inconvenient aspect ratio, as I already mentioned, because the recipient is on her phone. So it becomes kind of janky with the horizontal camera. With how the vertical camera mode acts now, it seems like the vertical mode is cropping out a strip in the middle, and showing that, rather than adjusting the framing of the raw camera input (which I assume is a square) to fit better with vertical.

Speaking to Apple support, I restarted my computer about 10 times and made a new user account and facetimed from there, none of which helped. This further confirms my suspicion that this is a bug.

If anyone suggests I bring it in for a physical repair, please provide further details as to what exactly could be done as I would have to travel and it would be inconvenient to be without it. I don't believe anything is physically wrong with the camera unit itself, and that it happened to break when I updated it.

Model: Macbook pro 2021

Picture attachments (if they come in order)

-Examples of current picture output in facetime, landscape vs. horizontal

-Reference photo of how the framing used to be before the update, same room, same distance from the computer.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 18, 2023 2:39 PM

1 reply

May 22, 2023 5:38 AM in response to RonaldASL

I have the same issue since a recent update. Before the update, my zoom level was similar on portrait mode and landscape mode. After the update, my portrait mode zoom is humorously too close making it almost unusable unless I put the macbook about 5 feet away from me, which is a little tricky since it's a "laptop" and my legs don't go out that far...

Please help!

Facetime HD camera for macbook pro zoomed in a lot more after Ventura 13.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.