Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Out of memory again!

Why is my $3,000 laptop, M1 Pro MacBook pro continually running out of memory when I am not actively doing anything? Looking at the activity monitor, I see Google Drive using about 9GB even when it is paused. It is a pain to continually restart . No problems with my Intel MacBook Air with a fraction of the memory. Very disappointed in the Apple chip.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Apr 18, 2023 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 7:44 AM

Use the Activity Monitor application and make sure to use View >> View All Processes

What process or processes are using the Most CPU and Memory.

Often times - the issue maybe not be a single Process but a combination of Processes

Also, when the computer is using some much Memory - it can be a indicator of a Lack Of Empty Spaces on the Drive.

In which case, the CPU and Memory usage would become Much More because it is searching for Empty Space to safe all the Changes the user is performing.

Images below from Activity Monitor 1 - CPU usage and 2 - Memory Usages

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2023 7:44 AM in response to Allan Mitchell1

Use the Activity Monitor application and make sure to use View >> View All Processes

What process or processes are using the Most CPU and Memory.

Often times - the issue maybe not be a single Process but a combination of Processes

Also, when the computer is using some much Memory - it can be a indicator of a Lack Of Empty Spaces on the Drive.

In which case, the CPU and Memory usage would become Much More because it is searching for Empty Space to safe all the Changes the user is performing.

Images below from Activity Monitor 1 - CPU usage and 2 - Memory Usages

Apr 19, 2023 9:34 AM in response to Allan Mitchell1

"Out of memory again!: I uninstalled Google Drive for Desktop and so far no huge memory hogs. My Mac has 16GB memory and a 1TB HD. Time will tell.

———-

Thank you for the follow up reply.

Give Google Drive Another Try:

Try downloading and the installing Google Drive once more. Restart your Mac after the install. If you get the same issue, I urge that you keep it off off of your Mac.

IMPORTANT:

Back Up your Mac First:

Prior to to the reinstall, be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong afterwards.

Apr 18, 2023 6:03 PM in response to Allan Mitchell1

"Out of memory again!: Why is my $3,000 laptop, M1 Pro MacBook pro continually running out of memory when I am not actively doing anything? Looking at the activity monitor, I see Google Drive using about 9GB even when it is paused. It is a pain to continually restart . No problems with my Intel MacBook Air with a fraction of the memory. Very disappointed in the Apple chip."

-------

Uninstall Google Drive:

Google Drive is overtaking your system's services. It has become a corrupt install. So, uninstall Google Drive, restart your Mac, and then report the results.

Out of memory again!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.