Unable to remove inactive Apple IDs from System Settings on Mac

Hello everyone,

I am facing an issue with removing inactive Apple ID accounts from the Internet Accounts section in System Settings on my Mac. These accounts were automatically added to the list of Internet accounts when I logged into different apps within my Apple ID account.

When I try to delete them by clicking on the "Delete Account" button, they immediately reappear on the list as inactive accounts. I have tried this several times but with no success.

I would really appreciate it if someone could guide me on how to permanently remove these inactive Apple IDs from the Internet Accounts section in System Preferences.

Thank you in advance for your help!

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Apr 18, 2023 8:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 1:12 AM

I can hardly believe it, but I've managed to solve this issue with deleting accounts!

After contacting support several times, and being told that the case needed to be escalated to a senior team, I finally found a solution. While following the recommendations of other users, I disabled keychain sync on all accounts, but that alone didn't work. Also, only one of the three inactive accounts had a login on my computer under another user, if it makes any difference.

So, what did I do?

1. I started up the computer in safe mode,
  2. turned off the internet,
  3. deleted all the accounts from the Internet Accounts section, and
  4. deleted the passwords to log in to those accounts from Keychain.

And, to my amazement, it worked! None of the “cursed” accounts have reappeared so far.

I am incredibly excited to have found a solution and hope that this post helps anyone who may be experiencing the same issue.

Screenshot of my Internet Accounts after restart:

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2023 1:12 AM in response to TimofeyDeveloper

I can hardly believe it, but I've managed to solve this issue with deleting accounts!

After contacting support several times, and being told that the case needed to be escalated to a senior team, I finally found a solution. While following the recommendations of other users, I disabled keychain sync on all accounts, but that alone didn't work. Also, only one of the three inactive accounts had a login on my computer under another user, if it makes any difference.

So, what did I do?

1. I started up the computer in safe mode,
  2. turned off the internet,
  3. deleted all the accounts from the Internet Accounts section, and
  4. deleted the passwords to log in to those accounts from Keychain.

And, to my amazement, it worked! None of the “cursed” accounts have reappeared so far.

I am incredibly excited to have found a solution and hope that this post helps anyone who may be experiencing the same issue.

Screenshot of my Internet Accounts after restart:

Unable to remove inactive Apple IDs from System Settings on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.