Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Give access to a folder on my Mac over the Internet

I work in a graphic design agency and I’d like to give access to a particular folder on my Mac (well, on a connected external drive hard to be precise) over the Internet as a drop box to my teleworking colleagues so that they can send me folders of finished jobs on a monthly basis.

Since this will be a temporary solution until we set up a permanent NAS Server around September, I want something that can be easily set up, without using any free or paid third-party application (or having to make sacrifices to the Ancient Ones… 😆).

I’m looking for something that works akin to File Sharing between Macs on the same network.

The size of those files can vary from 10 GB to 150 GB depending on the user, if that can be an issue.

My MacBook Pro is running the latest macOS Ventura update.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 4:44 PM

Buy some online storage for what you need to do.

If you really want to poke a hole in your defenses, hire someone to set it up with the appropriate intrusion protection devices.

Anything you try to do on the cheap will result in your network being quickly compromised.

2 replies

Apr 21, 2023 3:48 AM in response to Barney-15E

While waiting for an answer, I searched the Web a bit for a solution and everything I saw seems to be pointing to the same conclusion as you: trying to do something cheap could be potentially harmful to my network.

I was trying to find something «simpler» to our current solution (a Google Drive account shared with all my coworkers to get the benefits of the Drive’s 15 TB storage space) while we wait for the NAS server we should be getting around September, but I guess that we’ll stick with our Google Drive for now. 😉

Give access to a folder on my Mac over the Internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.