Can MBP Pro 14" with M2 Pro support 5120 x 1440 with USB C?

Hi everyone. My question is in the topic.

The display I am about to purchase is a Dell UltraSharp 49 Curved Monitor: U4919DW.

Can this resolution be supported by an M2 Pro chip out of the box via USB C.

MacBook Pro (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 10:21 AM

yes.

provided appropriately short (under 1 meter) "full featured" USB 3.1-rated cables are used.

Full-featured USB-C cables that implement USB 3.1 Gen 2 can handle up to 10 Gbit/s data rate at full duplex. They are marked with a SuperSpeed+ (SuperSpeed 10 Gbit/s) logo. 

from Wikipedia

This means that to meet 20 G bits/sec data rates for HBR2, the normally inbound data pathways will have to be reversed to Outbound most of the time. There will not be much bandwidth left over, so do not count on attaching a drive or other data-hungry device on the same cable.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2023 10:21 AM in response to eszed5561

yes.

provided appropriately short (under 1 meter) "full featured" USB 3.1-rated cables are used.

Full-featured USB-C cables that implement USB 3.1 Gen 2 can handle up to 10 Gbit/s data rate at full duplex. They are marked with a SuperSpeed+ (SuperSpeed 10 Gbit/s) logo. 

from Wikipedia

This means that to meet 20 G bits/sec data rates for HBR2, the normally inbound data pathways will have to be reversed to Outbound most of the time. There will not be much bandwidth left over, so do not count on attaching a drive or other data-hungry device on the same cable.

Apr 28, 2023 6:53 PM in response to eszed5561

ah, one important difference is that the dell U4924DW claims support of DisplayPort 1.4, which included data compression, and makes it easier to obtain 60 Hz refresh and still have a little bandwidth left to run regular Peripherals off its USB ports.

The Dell U4916DW claims only DisplayPort 1.2, which does not support data compression, and may not quite be able to make 60 Hz in every setup.

Oct 30, 2023 5:00 AM in response to eszed5561

Hi eszed5561,

I hope you read this even though your post is already a couple of months old. I have also purchased this monitor and from a display point of view, it works well with my 13inch MacBook Pro 2016, running Monterey 12.6.8. However, I struggle with the built-in docking station - does it work for you? Mine does not seem to pick up the LAN connected to the monitor, nor does it pick up the Logitech camera connected to the monitor. Could the issue be also the stock USB-C-cable which came with the monitor? How can I find out what kind of cable it is?

Kind regards

Jan

Can MBP Pro 14" with M2 Pro support 5120 x 1440 with USB C?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.