Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quick Time movie recording to an external hard disk

How do I record a quicktime movie directly to an external disk?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 11:03 AM

6 replies

Apr 19, 2023 11:38 AM in response to kingfisher500

you can use the keyboard shortcut "shift-command-5" to bring up the recording controls. then choose "options".

and then, in those controls, look at your "save to" location and choose where you want it to be saved.

in my above options, "External Video" is one of my external drives.

but I also need to mention to you that with my longer videos, I have had issues with recordings stopping unexpectedly and / or not saving when attempting to save them directly to my external drive. now, when I do a screen recording, I always use "desktop" as my save to location. once they are successfully saved, I then move them manually to the external drive I want to put them on.

Apr 20, 2023 5:15 PM in response to kingfisher500

kingfisher500 wrote:

Thank you for your response.

you're welcome.

Concerning your caution about problems with saving directly to an external drive, I am trying to avoid having the movie temporarily stored on my MacBook's internal SSD as I am concerned that this may shorten the life of that drive.

well that's your choice. but please don't say I didn't warn you. I sincerely hope you don't lose an important recording.

but as far as shortening the life of the drive, your Mac will likely be obsolete long before you could "wear out" the SSD.

Quick Time movie recording to an external hard disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.