Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Back glass cracked by heating

My iphone13 pro max is getting too hot when it is on charge. Today it’s back glass is broken without any dropping. I think it is because of getting too hot, Has apple any support for this?

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 12:04 PM

Some warmth is to be expected during charging. AS to whether or not it cause the breakage, Apple would have to determine that.

Go to this page to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Apple Authorized Distributor (AAD) --> Find Locations

How to make a Genius Bar appointment

1. Go to Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

2. Go to "Get hardware help".

3. Select your hardware and continue selecting options requiring replacing parts until you see "Bring in for Repair"

4. Sign in with your Apple ID

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2023 12:04 PM in response to nasrin69

Some warmth is to be expected during charging. AS to whether or not it cause the breakage, Apple would have to determine that.

Go to this page to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Apple Authorized Distributor (AAD) --> Find Locations

How to make a Genius Bar appointment

1. Go to Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

2. Go to "Get hardware help".

3. Select your hardware and continue selecting options requiring replacing parts until you see "Bring in for Repair"

4. Sign in with your Apple ID

Apr 30, 2023 5:16 AM in response to nasrin69

I am having this same issue. I have AppleCare Plus in addition to the one year warranty on my phone. I am being told that I will have to pay $99 for my replacement phone due to “physical damage”. My phone overheated while charging and was not dropped. I actually hear noise come from my phone while it was charging. The screen had a message once again stating that charging was paused due to overheating. My phone was hot to the touch. This was the fifth time it had happened and my back glass/camera area had spider web cracks. I’m not understanding why this would not be a 100% warranty replacement. This seems to be an issue with these phones. I’ve never had this issues before the iPhone 13.

Aug 29, 2023 6:07 PM in response to nasrin69

That’s exactly what happened to me today the back of my phones be getting over 106 degrees for a over a month now the side buttons & the back has heated up extremely fast can’t even touch buttons without getting burned I have to cool it down in ac unit to use again.The screen is fine just the back & sides get super hot.

I finally noticed today after my phone said charge on hold that the bottom middle to bottom right & up of my phone was cracked!

i know it wasn’t dropped because the sides are mark & scratch free.

im sure it’ll get worse as well since our phones need charging the heat will crack phones even worse !

Oct 12, 2023 6:07 PM in response to nasrin69

I was just sitting here thinking about how the back of my phone broke , i discovered the back of my iphone 11 was SHATTERED! The camera bump is cracked! I noticed the camera bump was cracked, then i took off my case (thats always been on) and it was spiderwebbed all over and i was just sooo shocked and angry and confused because it was sitting on the computer desk untouched , and ive always thought someone else maliciously shattered my phone and put it back but now today i was thinking maybe it cracked from the internal heat , my phone does get crazy hot today! Before the back of my phone was cracked i was planning on getting the battery replaced to preserve the phone because i had gotten a notification that the battery health was low and i could get it replaced for 70$ but then magically my back glass is spiderweb shattered now being held in place with clear duck tape 😪 apple should provide me a new phone , it would be the nice honest thing to do , i know i take care of my belongings and my phone wasnt dropped , the sides are good the front is good but somehow the back shattered and im glad im not the only one to say this it takes some weight of my shoulders and gives me confidence to confront apple about it !

Dec 7, 2023 6:30 AM in response to nasrin69

This happened to my iPhone 14 Pro; the phone displayed overheating warnings and stopped charging a couple of times previously. A few days later, I noticed cracks on the back of my phone. I visited the Apple Store to utilize my Apple Care Plus, and they requested a $99 fee for the replacement. This doesn't seem fair, considering it's a fault with the phone.

Back glass cracked by heating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.