Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Exporting Selected Key Photo

I am trying to export a still image from a live photo. I duplicated the original live photo, selected a new key photo, duplicated this as a still photo, and exported to my hard drive as a jpg. Each time I do this, the exported file shows the default key photo, NOT the one I selected and duplicated. I can't find a way for the export to show the new key photo. Help!

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 4:20 PM

Which system version do you have installed? On the most recent version of Ventura this is working for me:

• Open a Live Photo in edit mode
  • Remove any animation effect by setting the selector to "Live", so the film strip of the video clip becomes active.
  • Select a frame in the filmstrip and click "Make key photo"
  • Now exit the edit mode and close the photo to see the new keyframe on the thumbnail.
  • Select the Live photo and use the command "File > Export > Export 1 photo" as a JPEG or a TIFF.

This will export the selected keyframe as a still image. Do not turn the Live Photo into a still photo, but export the edited version while the photo is still a Live Photo.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2023 4:20 PM in response to MCZoerb

Which system version do you have installed? On the most recent version of Ventura this is working for me:

• Open a Live Photo in edit mode
  • Remove any animation effect by setting the selector to "Live", so the film strip of the video clip becomes active.
  • Select a frame in the filmstrip and click "Make key photo"
  • Now exit the edit mode and close the photo to see the new keyframe on the thumbnail.
  • Select the Live photo and use the command "File > Export > Export 1 photo" as a JPEG or a TIFF.

This will export the selected keyframe as a still image. Do not turn the Live Photo into a still photo, but export the edited version while the photo is still a Live Photo.

Exporting Selected Key Photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.