Should I disconnect external hard drives before creating a backup?

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 8:22 AM

It depends. Do you want Time Machine to include them in its backups? If you do then they must remain connected when creating a backup. If you do not, then you can simply exclude them from being backed up.

Refer to Exclude files from a Time Machine backup on Mac - Apple Support. Its title implies only files can be excluded, but as it goes on to explain any item can be excluded — files, folders, or drives. A more appropriate title might be "Exclude items from a Time Machine backup on Mac."

In any case it is not required to disconnect anything.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2023 8:22 AM in response to Giuan97

It depends. Do you want Time Machine to include them in its backups? If you do then they must remain connected when creating a backup. If you do not, then you can simply exclude them from being backed up.

Refer to Exclude files from a Time Machine backup on Mac - Apple Support. Its title implies only files can be excluded, but as it goes on to explain any item can be excluded — files, folders, or drives. A more appropriate title might be "Exclude items from a Time Machine backup on Mac."

In any case it is not required to disconnect anything.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.