Lightning digital AV adapter and lightning to usb C as a combo to connect my iPad to a HDMI screen?

I have a lightning digital AV adapter. I use it to connect my iPad 9 to a HDMI screen. Is possible to use this lightning digital AV adapter together with a lightning to usb c adapter? For example can I connect a new iPad Pro or an other usb c device to HDMI with this combination or do I have to buy a usb c digital AV adapter?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad (9th generation)

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 7:25 AM

No.

Lightning is a proprietary Apple interface. Lightning and USB-C are fundamentally different interfaces that are not inter-workable. You cannot connect Lightning accessories to a USB-C port.

As such, you’ll not be able to use your existing Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter with iPads (or other computers) that have USB-C ports.

Should you purchase an iPad with a USB-C port, if you intend to connect to a TV/Monitor using HDMI, you’ll need a compatible USB-C Adapter or USB-C hub that incorporates an HDMI connection. For example:

• USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MUF82ZM/A

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2023 7:25 AM in response to katzenstein

No.

Lightning is a proprietary Apple interface. Lightning and USB-C are fundamentally different interfaces that are not inter-workable. You cannot connect Lightning accessories to a USB-C port.

As such, you’ll not be able to use your existing Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter with iPads (or other computers) that have USB-C ports.

Should you purchase an iPad with a USB-C port, if you intend to connect to a TV/Monitor using HDMI, you’ll need a compatible USB-C Adapter or USB-C hub that incorporates an HDMI connection. For example:

• USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MUF82ZM/A

Lightning digital AV adapter and lightning to usb C as a combo to connect my iPad to a HDMI screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.