Why is my disc gone?

so basically

i was kinda stupid and i wanted to get rid of my whole disk as factory reset. i held command and r then deleted my disc. then i exited out of everything then reset my mac again.

now whenever i turn it on it has a folder icon then a question mark but when i hold command r it shows a globe.

i put in my wifi then a warning symbol pops up!

where is my disc! how do i get my mac back?!

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 11:06 AM

Hi, epiezaaa.... let me keep this as basic as possible...what you have invoked is Internet Recovery....after you are done with that, almost, you have to set the internal HD/SSD as the Startup Disk..... just before you exit out of Internet Recovery (for good???) ....I hate to ask a painful question of you, but, before you decided to do all this, did you have a backup of your Mac? did you do a backup of your Mac, say, with Time Machine ??? I sure hope so, otherwise this is going to be a painful learning experience

John B

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2023 11:06 AM in response to epiezaaa

Hi, epiezaaa.... let me keep this as basic as possible...what you have invoked is Internet Recovery....after you are done with that, almost, you have to set the internal HD/SSD as the Startup Disk..... just before you exit out of Internet Recovery (for good???) ....I hate to ask a painful question of you, but, before you decided to do all this, did you have a backup of your Mac? did you do a backup of your Mac, say, with Time Machine ??? I sure hope so, otherwise this is going to be a painful learning experience

John B

Apr 23, 2023 1:26 PM in response to epiezaaa

Ok then… oh dear ! If you have an external hard drive… plug it in… if you do the apple+R thing on startup/restart ( hold down the apple+R keys together to get to the built in recovery partition, pick a language, continue, move your cursor to the top centre of your screen+ click, you should see Mac OS X tools, from there, go to disk utility, mount your internal hard drive and see if it shows up… there might be a slim chance of recovery if you were to buy some recovery software and if your hard drive isn’t totally hosed… perhaps DiskDrill or data rescue ( see link) https://www.prosofteng.com/

good luck to you

john b

Why is my disc gone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.