Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

iPhone not ringing when receiving texts, even with notifications on full volume

My iPhone no longer rings when I receive a text. My sound is all the way up. Focus mode is not on. Do not disturb is not on. My phone is fully updated. Haptics are on. Notifications for messages are on. I have an Apple Watch which does receive notifications for texts, but this should not prevent my phone from ringing as well when a text comes through. Can I only be notified of texts through the phone OR the watch?

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2023 6:33 AM

I had the same issue when I first bought my Apple Watch. I finally figured out that if I turn OFF the Bluetooth setting, then both devices ring. I only turn on Bluetooth when I need it for something specific and all iOS updates turn it back on so you’ll need to remember to switch it off again

3 replies

Apr 20, 2023 3:07 PM in response to LindaJKnott

If your iPhone is locked, you will receive notifications on your Apple Watch, and if your iPhone is unlocked, you will receive notifications on your iPhone. You will not receive them both places.

You can disable Wrist Detection, then all notifications will be delivered to both devices. But this will exclude various features, so I cannot recommend it.

From Apple Support:

If Wrist Detection is off, you won't get Stand notifications, and your Apple Watch can't track your Stand progress. Background heart rate readings (like resting and walking rates) won't be taken if Wrist Detection is off. 

You can find more information about this here:

Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

iPhone not ringing when receiving texts, even with notifications on full volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.