Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to view home videos on apple tv

How to view home videos using apple tv most recent box?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 3:09 PM

Home videos in your iCloud Photos Library can be watched in the Photos app.

Home videos in the Library of the Apple TV app (or iTunes application) on a networked computer can be Home Shared, and watched in the Computers app (Home Videos tab) on the Apple TV box. This is the same for any model Apple TV box.

There are also third party apps to share media files from networked computers or NAS to Apple TV.

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2023 3:09 PM in response to movieguy-13

Home videos in your iCloud Photos Library can be watched in the Photos app.

Home videos in the Library of the Apple TV app (or iTunes application) on a networked computer can be Home Shared, and watched in the Computers app (Home Videos tab) on the Apple TV box. This is the same for any model Apple TV box.

There are also third party apps to share media files from networked computers or NAS to Apple TV.

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

Jul 25, 2023 9:10 PM in response to cvryan

iCloud files can’t be larger than 50 GB. JPEG files might have a 100 MB limit each (for this service).

Shared Albums seems to have a max video duration limit of 15 minutes per file.

A 1 TB .mp4 file seems excessively large. A super high quality 4K HDR Blu-ray movie with bonus content is less than 100 GB (triple layer disc). A typical video for sharing with family should be well under 10 GB/h (4K HDR), or 3.5 GB/h (HD 1080p SDR). You may want to export that again with more optimized settings.

Jul 25, 2023 2:04 PM in response to movieguy-13

This solution appears not to work for a large file. We made a video to share with family that is a 1TB MP4 file. When I try to load it onto the iCloud library, even though I've got lots more available capacity, a pop-up message says that files must be: (a) in JPEG format; and (b) less than 100Mb. For many years, I was able to load personal movie files onto my iPad. The ability to watch short movies made by my kids, or made for family events, while I am traveling was an important feature, which I used for many years, including after Apple moved to the Apple TV app on the iPad.

I can always view the movie from my Dell computer, and I could stream it on a local network in my home, which is not what I want to do, but is only a minor nuissance for me. But my mother uses an iPad at her home as her computer, so a NAS solution or streaming from a computer-based copy on iTunes, outside of her iPad, is not a viable solution. Before I buy her a replacement computer, which would probably mean that she will never use the iPad again, is there still a way for that I can place a copy of such a media file on her iPad to allow her to view it.

How to view home videos on apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.