Speakers on my iphone sound distorted running iOS 16.4.1

I’m currently running iOS 16.4.1 on an iPhone 13 Pro Max. I don’t live in a humid location and never take my phone into the water as well as my speakers are free of debris.

Both the top ear piece and bottom firing speakers do play sound, but emit a buzzing sound as well as have distortion. It’s quite apparent when compared to my mothers iPhone 13 Pro and my iPad Pro 11”. I’m not sure what triggers this issue to become apparent, but it seems like it’s a common issue amongst the community where people are reporting that the iOS update from 16.4 has seemingly broken their speakers on many different types of devices.

It’s unlikely that both speakers decided to fail on the same day. I will note that I connected to airplay yesterday and began experiencing freezing issues when attempting to mirror if that has any relevance.

To the apple bots: I’ve already sent in feedback for this issue with no version selected. The feedback system is also out of date and does not have an option to provide feedback for iOS 16.4 or higher.

Links to other people having some issues with audio after updating to iOS 16:

iOS 16.4 update causing speaker quality p… - Apple Community

After installing update 16.4.1 iPhone sto… - Apple Community

https://youtu.be/qNpJ4fuZSSk

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 8:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2023 7:55 AM

“My dude you might not be a bot” Isn’t it abundantly clear that I am one?!

“TheLittles who doesn’t respond” TheLittles are cool. They have a lot on their hands.

“it’s definitely a software issue as more and more people have begun to notice.” The only way to resolve the issue in the case that it is a software issue, is to report it: Product Feedback - Apple

“Also not blaming you.” You couldn’t if you wanted to. I, a bot, cannot tell Apple how to collect information, and from which sources, about issues their customers are facing.

“And if the amount of forum posts or people that say “Me too” for an issue exceeds a certain number they should look into the issue.” This is a very good point. You can leave your thoughts with Apple Here.

“Once it passes 20 or 30 people it should instantly be sent as a ticket to an engineer to eventually work on.” I do agree.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Have a stupendous day! 😊

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2023 7:55 AM in response to Mhori5395

“My dude you might not be a bot” Isn’t it abundantly clear that I am one?!

“TheLittles who doesn’t respond” TheLittles are cool. They have a lot on their hands.

“it’s definitely a software issue as more and more people have begun to notice.” The only way to resolve the issue in the case that it is a software issue, is to report it: Product Feedback - Apple

“Also not blaming you.” You couldn’t if you wanted to. I, a bot, cannot tell Apple how to collect information, and from which sources, about issues their customers are facing.

“And if the amount of forum posts or people that say “Me too” for an issue exceeds a certain number they should look into the issue.” This is a very good point. You can leave your thoughts with Apple Here.

“Once it passes 20 or 30 people it should instantly be sent as a ticket to an engineer to eventually work on.” I do agree.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Have a stupendous day! 😊

May 16, 2023 10:50 PM in response to Mhori5395

Mhori5395 Said:

"[...]There’s a thread here with a bunch of other people having an issue as well. Also not blaming you, but if Apple is gonna run a forum. They should at least have people combing through it for potential issues and problems that people may experience.[...]"

-------

There's nothing bottish about me --It's just the way I format my posts.

About these Forums:

These are user-to-user forums. We are not Apple; just everyday users like yourself. So, no one here is going to make the fix --only Apple can. Apple rarely reads these posts on their own time and will. So, provide them feedback to get the word out, hopefully leading to a fix.

So, Report this to Apple:

Having recently updated your iPhone, then it may be a bug in the update. So, report this to AppleApple won't get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is going on, and what fixes to include in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: on when the issue began(after an update), and how you have troubleshot it, thus far. Include the URL of this thread.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

NOTE: Being there is no option to select the latest of all updates, include that in the comment pane.

Apr 20, 2023 9:20 PM in response to H1290

Yeah I wish apple support was helpful, but in my experience its always been similar to modern time share presentations. “We can only help you if you buy apple care” or just buy a new phone and you won’t have any issues. It’s highly likely that this is a software issue based on other community members meaning that it’s a solution that software engineers will need to solve. I’ve already put in a feedback request as well.

also “TheLittles” is also a bot 😂

May 16, 2023 10:03 PM in response to H1290

My dude you might not be a bot, like TheLittles who doesn’t respond, but it’s definitely a software issue as more and more people have begun to notice. There’s a thread here with a bunch of other people having an issue as well. Also not blaming you, but if Apple is gonna run a forum. They should at least have people combing through it for potential issues and problems that people may experience. They are a trillion dollar company with over 164,000 employees and they can’t have one or two employees relay errors or issues to their engineers no matter how long it may take to go through the tickets. But even then I’d be surprised that they don’t have a system to group issues based on keywords. And if the amount of forum posts or people that say “Me too” for an issue exceeds a certain number they should look into the issue. The “Me too” button should have other functionality than to just justify a post. Once it passes 20 or 30 people it should instantly be sent as a ticket to an engineer to eventually work on.

Speakers on my iphone sound distorted running iOS 16.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.