You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook login

My MacBook got locked out and it’s not giving me the option to reset the password or anything what do I do

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 7:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 5:29 AM

Hello Keegandelormier,

if there is trouble resetting your password with your Apple ID, do this instead:

1: Boot into Recovery Mode. Shut down your Mac and continue to hold the power button as your Mac starts up. Then when you see “Loading Startup Options” let go of the power button and after it loads, click Options.

2: click Utilities in the menu bar then choose Terminal.

3: Type resetpassword

4: Enter a new password in the first field in the window that popped up, confirm it in the next, then finally, enter a password hint in the last field (optional), click Continue/Next then follow the onscreen instructions if there’s any.

5: Boot up your Mac normally and use the new password you reseted a few minutes ago.

Hope I could help!

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 23, 2023 5:29 AM in response to Keegandelormier

Hello Keegandelormier,

if there is trouble resetting your password with your Apple ID, do this instead:

1: Boot into Recovery Mode. Shut down your Mac and continue to hold the power button as your Mac starts up. Then when you see “Loading Startup Options” let go of the power button and after it loads, click Options.

2: click Utilities in the menu bar then choose Terminal.

3: Type resetpassword

4: Enter a new password in the first field in the window that popped up, confirm it in the next, then finally, enter a password hint in the last field (optional), click Continue/Next then follow the onscreen instructions if there’s any.

5: Boot up your Mac normally and use the new password you reseted a few minutes ago.

Hope I could help!

MacBook login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.