How to make a backup of my iPhone on my MacBook?

How to back up iPhone XR on MacBook using Catalina ?

[Re-titled by Moderator]

iPhone XR, 16

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 8:28 AM

6 replies

Apr 22, 2023 8:39 AM in response to Cleo46

The combination of laptop and iPhone that you have should work just fine. My 2012 MacBook Pro

w/ Catalina works with my iOS 16 iPhone.

If you are not using the Apple cable that came with your iPhone, I would suggest using a different sync cable. Some cables only do charging while others charge and sync data. Use a quality cable, ideally an Apple cable.

Also, reboot both devices and try the connection again.

If a simple reboot of your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (press and hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (5 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode is non-destructive to user data. It’s not a cure-all, but very often corrects weird software behavior. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

Apr 22, 2023 11:17 AM in response to Cleo46

fwiw, your 2016 MacBook should be able to upgrade to the latest release of macOS 12 Monterey (12.6.5). If you cannot upgrade to that, there may be some underlying problem with the computer that also affects the ability to communicate with the iPhone.

Have you tried upgrading your computer?

Did you encounter some problem?

How to Upgrade  macOS:

The macOS version you can upgrade to depends on the year your Mac was released.

Click the  (Apple) menu at the top of your screen and choose About This Mac.

Check the Compatibility of your Mac with newer versions of macOS:

➡️ macOS 11 Big Sur is compatible with the Macs listed here

➡️ macOS 12 Monterey is compatible with the Macs listed here

✅ - IF your Mac is compatible, then download the macOS upgrade installer app:

Click >  Big Sur or Monterey.

Once downloaded, double-click the “Install macOS…” app in the Applications folder to begin the upgrade.

Please see > How to download macOS.

Apr 22, 2023 6:50 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thank you. So grateful for your support. I've done what you suggest but on Finder my cell does not appear. Could it be that my MacBook is a 2016 model using Catalina 10.15.7 and I haven't been able to update it further, whereas my cell is using iOS16.4.1? if that's the problem, what must I do to back up my cell on the laptop?

How to make a backup of my iPhone on my MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.