Reinstating macOS on Late 2011 Macbook Pro

My (model A1297) Macbook Pro failed last week and I had to install a new hard drive. I then (finally) managed to install a copy of the Snow Leopard OS (the version that the Macbook shipped with) from DVD. I then attempted to bring the machine as up-to-date as possible via each successive OS, aiming to finally reach High Sierra, beyond which the Macbook cannot cope.

I first downloaded Lion and Mountain Lion from the Purchases section of the App Store, but both of these failed, the system claiming checksum errors. Multiple times all had the same result. I then discovered that the final version of each of those two old OSs could be downloaded from the Apple web site, which I did. In both cases, the default installation failed again, also with checksum errors. Doing some research online I discovered that an alternative install file within each image could be used, and in both cases, that worked. So I went from Snow Leopard to Lion, then from Lion to Mountain Lion, relatively painlessly.

Mavericks was next on my list. Downloading from my Purchases in the App Store had the same lack of success as the previous attempts. In this case however I couldn't find a download on the Apple web site, and was loathe to try any third-party offerings, fearing for the security of my system.

Exactly the same with Yosemite, El Capitan, and Sierra. No luck.

Giving up with the plan to install (and back up) each successive version, I had no option but to try going straight to High Sierra. Same problem on trying to download from the App Store, but was relieved to see that this version was downloadable from the Apple web site. I've tried this twice so far today, but on both occasions I got the same checksum error.

Am I stuck forever with a Macbook running Mountain Lion?

Any hints or suggestions would be very welcome.

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 11:27 AM

10.11 El Capitan (fully updated) is the waypoint you seek, but it is very difficult to Install and update without Safari 9 or later already in place.

Apple's web servers are mostly set up for modern encryption, and safari before Safri 9 does not do encryption up to today's standard.

My next post will contain the DIRECT download link for El Capitan from Apple's web site. When you click on it, the download will begin.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2023 11:27 AM in response to Glenikins

10.11 El Capitan (fully updated) is the waypoint you seek, but it is very difficult to Install and update without Safari 9 or later already in place.

Apple's web servers are mostly set up for modern encryption, and safari before Safri 9 does not do encryption up to today's standard.

My next post will contain the DIRECT download link for El Capitan from Apple's web site. When you click on it, the download will begin.

Apr 21, 2023 4:32 PM in response to Glenikins

once El Capitan is installed, you run all the available software updates. During that process, you will be upgraded to the latest version of Safari 9, the oldest version that supports modern encryption, and the latest Mac App Store. And all sorts of stuff will begin to 'just work'.

including all the OTHER links in this article, which will now be available to you:

How to download macOS - Apple Support

Apr 21, 2023 12:20 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for the informative response. Yes, I've had all sorts of problems accessing web pages with the Safari v6 that I have at present, including a lack of any connection at all to various Apple pages.

I ended up installing the latest version of Chrome compatible with my current macOS and this was able to connect ok.

I'm currently downloading the .dmg file you kindly sent the link for (my Internet connection isn't what you'd call blisteringly fast) and will update this thread once it's complete.

In order to pre-empt a further call for help once I've cleared this hurdle, can you advise (or point me in the direction of) the other older OS direct download links? Will I be able to proceed directly to High Sierra once I have El Capitan installed?

Thanks again for your help with this.

Reinstating macOS on Late 2011 Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.