Editing a video's exif in Apple Photos makes it impossible to export it to desktop/Finder in full quality

This all started when I was using Photos on my iPad to manage all my photos and videos. I've noticed that moving the videos (from my Lumix camera) from Photos to Files app reduces their quality (about 1/4 of original size, with visible compression artifacts). I didn't find a solution to that problem, but I thought that maybe macOS will do better in this regard.

Now, on my Mac I think I've finally found what's causing that - it's editing the exif data of my videos (it's necessary, since they always appear 1 or 2 hours too late. Even worse if they're imported from a different program).

Example: I have a 99.7MB 4k clip imported to Photos from Lightroom. It has a wrong time on it - LR export time, not the actual time I took the video.

a) without changing anything, I drag this video from Photos to my desktop. The video keeps the same 99.7MB size

b) I correct the exif data inside the Photos app. If I drag it to my desktop now, it ends up being compressed to 59.7MB (although it's still 99.7MB in Photos)

Is this how it's supposed to behave?

MacBook Air, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 22, 2023 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 10:16 AM

The date and time you're looking at with the Finder are the file's date/time created which can change every time you copy the file or drag it from one volume to another (which is the same as copying). If you want to know what metadata video/movie files use or can use see Matti Haveri's topic: What movie metadata Photos and QuickTime Player support.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2023 10:16 AM in response to Pap4ja

The date and time you're looking at with the Finder are the file's date/time created which can change every time you copy the file or drag it from one volume to another (which is the same as copying). If you want to know what metadata video/movie files use or can use see Matti Haveri's topic: What movie metadata Photos and QuickTime Player support.

Apr 23, 2023 1:37 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you! It worked with the "Export unmodified original" option as well as standard export in 4k. Another way to do it is downloading the videos from iCloud website.

None of these keeps the date and time as I intended, but that's a problem with lack of a standard for videos' metadata, not with Apple. Being able to export these videos in full quality is what matters to me, I'm glad there is a way to do it.

Editing a video's exif in Apple Photos makes it impossible to export it to desktop/Finder in full quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.