Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

LG monitor not starting after reboot

Since 13.3 and continuing in 13.3.1 my LG monitor doesn't come back on after a restart. Have to turn monitor off, then back on to get the sign in screen. Any ideas?

Posted on Apr 22, 2023 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 8:23 AM

Hi pjdsalwa,

Making sure that your external display's power cable and video cable are connected securely and correctly at both ends is a great place to start isolating the issue. The first section of this article will help you check your connections: Connect a display to your Mac.

If all is well there, and the issue persists, try testing the issue in safe mode. This will start up your Mac so that it performs certain checks and prevents some software from automatically loading or opening, which could help narrow down the cause of the issue. This article will walk you through the steps: How to use safe mode on your Mac.

Apple silicon
1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

Intel processor
1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 
3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window.

Regards.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2023 8:23 AM in response to pjdsalwa

Hi pjdsalwa,

Making sure that your external display's power cable and video cable are connected securely and correctly at both ends is a great place to start isolating the issue. The first section of this article will help you check your connections: Connect a display to your Mac.

If all is well there, and the issue persists, try testing the issue in safe mode. This will start up your Mac so that it performs certain checks and prevents some software from automatically loading or opening, which could help narrow down the cause of the issue. This article will walk you through the steps: How to use safe mode on your Mac.

Apple silicon
1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

Intel processor
1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 
3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window.

Regards.

Apr 24, 2023 12:06 PM in response to MVegas21

Thanks for the help MVegas21. However, none of the steps worked. Cables are fine and connected properly. This is a USB-c connection. And with that connection, a cold startup has no problem waking the monitor. It’s on the restart where I have to shut off the monitor and turn it back on to wake the monitor.

I did attach a HDMI cable and that woke up the monitor on every restart. So there is something about the USB-C that is no longer sending a signal to the monitor?

That being said, this was never a problem before OS 13.3 or 13.3.1. USB-C worked fine in OS 13.2 etc.

Apr 26, 2023 11:54 AM in response to pjdsalwa

I did contact support and we switched the usb-c connection on the monitor to the one I had a ssd attached to and the ssd to the monitor usb-c port. Restarted several times and the monitor woke up on every restart.

Might be a funky port where the monitor was attached but all's good right now. If my ssd starts failing to do the job I will have to have Apple Store take a look.

Thanks everyone for the help.

LG monitor not starting after reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.