The payment card expiration year must be between 2023 and 2043. Expiration dates cannot be in the past.

The payment card expiration year must be between 2023 and 2043.

Expiration dates cannot be in the past.

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Apr 22, 2023 7:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 8:07 PM

I love Apple products and i can’t imagine my life without use Apple product but I was try to link debit cards to my iPhone and it keep said © Expiration dates can't be in the past. The credit card expiration year must be between 2023 and 2043. Why please I need help with it

25 replies

Apr 22, 2023 8:02 PM in response to chijioke114

chijioke114 Said:

"The payment card expiration year must be between 2023 and 2043. Expiration dates cannot be in the past."

-------

Please Provide More:

What exactly are you trying to do here? How does "2043" come in to play here?

Troubleshooting Declined Methods of Payment:

See this Link: If your Payment Method is Declined in the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

Whom to Contact:

Contact Apple Support:

For Financial Assistance, contact Apple Support. These are user-to-user forums. We are not Apple.  Apple barely reads these site on their own time, as it is. As you may suspect, no one here would know the answer to this. So, contact Apple Support. The'll see what has occurred, and will run you through the fix. Here is the information for contacting Apple Support:

Apple Phone Support:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there as Necessary
  • Why the Wait: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due do lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Oct 12, 2023 3:47 PM in response to Erickmichael

If your card lasts for 4 years at a time, that would not be a problem. The requirement is that that you have a card that has not already expired. For a card issued in 2022 that lasts until 2026, the expiration year would be 2026 - not 2022.

If the bank gave you a card that lasted for 40 years at a time, the 2043 could be a problem, but I doubt that you are in that boat.

Oct 7, 2023 9:39 AM in response to felicial144

[EDIT: The original question was from April, but I see that someone else bumped the thread with the same question just today.]

felicial144 wrote:

I love Apple products and i can’t imagine my life without use Apple product but I was try to link debit cards to my iPhone and it keep said © Expiration dates can't be in the past. The credit card expiration year must be between 2023 and 2043. Why please I need help with it

If your debit or credit card expired before 2023, it is no longer a valid payment method. That is why Apple will not accept it. If you entered the date from an expired card, and your bank has already sent you a new card that has a later expiration date, then

• Sign the new card
  • Activate the new card with your bank (if instructed to do so by your bank)
  • Cut up the old card and throw it away
  • Start carrying the new card
  • Re-enter the payment information, complete with the new, valid expiration date

If you have an expired card and the bank has not sent you a new card, that is a matter for you to resolve with your bank.

If by chance you have a valid expiration date (say, one in 2024), and you entered the year in shorthand form (24), the computer might be concluding that your card has already expired (because 24 < 2023). In this case, entering the payment information with the full year (2024) should fix the problem (because 2024 >= 2023).

May 25, 2024 9:01 AM in response to praise167

praise167 wrote:

Am trying to buy iCloud storage but is telling me that the expiring date must be between 2024 and 2044

If you are entering the year as something like 25, stop doing that. Enter it as 2025.

I haven't checked this form in particular, but sometimes the developers of a computer-based form expect you to enter a two-digit year (a shortcut), and other times, they expect you to enter a four-digit one.

If the form expects a four-digit year and you enter something like 25, it may fail the validation test and you could get an error message. 25 is not between 2024 and 2044. The only reason it would be accepted is if the form is set up to accept a two-digit year and implicitly add the leading "20". It is not the number of digits printed on the back of your card, but the number of digits that the form expects, that matters.

The payment card expiration year must be between 2023 and 2043. Expiration dates cannot be in the past.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.