icloud.com won't load while in disk utility in os x el capitan

Plz help me

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Apr 22, 2023 8:23 PM

12 replies

Apr 23, 2023 8:55 AM in response to Magictoast55

Try the bolded one below... 

Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later… How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

2. Decide whether to erase (format) your disk

If you need to erase your disk before installing macOS, select Disk Utility from the Utilities window, then click Continue. You probably don't need to erase, unless you're selling or giving away your Mac or have an issue that requires you to erase. Learn more about when and how to erase.

3. Install macOS

After starting up from macOS Recovery, follow these steps to install macOS:

1. Choose Reinstall macOS (or Reinstall OS X) from the Utilities window.
  2. Click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions to choose your disk and begin installation.
  3. If the installer asks to unlock your disk, enter the password you use to log in to your Mac. If it doesn't see your disk, or it says that it can't install on your computer or volume, you might need to erase your disk

1. Please allow installation to complete without putting your Mac to sleep or closing its lid. During installation, your Mac might restart and show a progress bar several times, and the screen might be empty for minutes at a time.

If your Mac restarts to a setup assistant, but you're selling or giving it away, press Command-Q to quit the assistant without completing setup. Then click Shut Down. When the new owner starts up the Mac, they can use their own information to complete setup.

If you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4

If macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later was never installed on your Mac, macOS Recovery works differently:

• Command-R is still the recommended way to start up from macOS Recovery. This combination makes sure that the installation isn't associated with your Apple ID, which is important if you're selling or giving away your Mac.
  • Option-Command-R installs the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.
  • Shift-Option-Command-R isn't available.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support 

Of course you may need to make a USB installer...

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support...

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Apr 23, 2023 8:59 AM in response to Magictoast55

Magictoast55 wrote:

So I got my first iMac yesterday and the seller factory reseted the iMac and now it is disk utility mode and when I try to sign in it says “this item is temporarily unavailable” and then I saw a reply to post asking about how to fix “this item is temporary unavailable” and they say to sign in to iCloud

Okay, whatever you’re reading is seemingly confusing, outdated, out-of-context, or wrong.

The seller also seemingly didn’t do a factory install of macOS for you.

Press and hold the Option-Command-R chord at boot, following the instructions here:

Use macOS Recovery on an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

The sections of that document to read include these:

… Start up your Intel-based Mac in macOS Recovery

… Connect to the internet using Wi-Fi

… Erase and reinstall macOS

This should get a new copy of macOS installed, and installing whatever is the latest version compatible with the particular iMac in use. Trying to load older macOS versions can get the “temporarily unavailable” messages.

As for what macOS version gets loaded, using macOS 10.13 High Sierra is getting dicy, and using yet-older versions gets more difficult to use the further back the iMac.

The iMac model information and serial number and such is usually on the bottom of the foot.

Older Macs don’t do internet recovery all that well or at all, so I’m here assuming whatever iMac you have does have Internet Recovery.

Apr 23, 2023 11:29 AM in response to Magictoast55

Magictoast55 wrote:

I don’t know how to load the newest macOS for my Mac in OS X utility for your information my iMac is core 2 duo 20 inch mid 2009

That ~fourteen year old Mac tops out at OS X 10.11, which will be trouble to use. You’ll minimally need to load some certificates to be able to browse, or scrounge another browser with support for OS X 10.11. (That’s seven years and seven versions back.)

To install the latest version of OS X on that iMac, press and hold the Option-Command-R chord at boot, following the instructions here:

… ➡️➡️ Use macOS Recovery on an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support ⬅️⬅️

The sections of that document you will want to read include these:

… Start up your Intel-based Mac in macOS Recovery

… Connect to the internet using Wi-Fi

… Erase and reinstall macOS

This should get a new copy of OS X 10.11 installed. Trying to load older macOS versions—using a startup chord other than Option-Command-R—can get the “temporarily unavailable” messages.

That iMac mid 2009 is probably also old enough that it won’t network boot all that well, if at all.

Somebody may need to build you an bootable installer, and they’ll need an old Mac to do that. You might ask Apple if they’ll help you get an old installer. (Worst that happens there is a “no”.)

To be blunt, this iMac is not going to be a great first experience.

Apr 23, 2023 9:15 AM in response to Magictoast55

Magictoast55 wrote:

This is not for osx el capitan

OS X 10.11 El Capitan is older than macOS 10.13 High Sierra.

Using macOS 10.13 is getting dicy.

Using OS X 10.11, more so.

In my experience, unless steeped in the names—and sometimes even then—the Apple Mac version names only tend to confuse things.

You want to load the newest macOS available for the particular iMac.

icloud.com won't load while in disk utility in os x el capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.