find my iphone

find my iphone is on .....when i log in icloud it shows its off. Can someone tell me why the almighty iphone is doing this?

iPhone 7, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 11:37 AM

Basics: Are you logging in to iCloud with the same Apple ID that the phone was logged in to when you enabled Find My? Do you have VPN enabled on the phone?

When you log in to iCloud what EXACTLY does it say? Does the phone appear in the list of devices and say “offline”, or doesn’t it appear at all? Find my will never say the phone is off, as it has no way of knowing that; as all Find My knows is that it isn’t receiving a signal from the phone the best it can say is “offline”.

If it says offline, is the phone connected to cellular data AND to Wi-Fi, or to at least one of them?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2023 11:37 AM in response to ohblueboy

Basics: Are you logging in to iCloud with the same Apple ID that the phone was logged in to when you enabled Find My? Do you have VPN enabled on the phone?

When you log in to iCloud what EXACTLY does it say? Does the phone appear in the list of devices and say “offline”, or doesn’t it appear at all? Find my will never say the phone is off, as it has no way of knowing that; as all Find My knows is that it isn’t receiving a signal from the phone the best it can say is “offline”.

If it says offline, is the phone connected to cellular data AND to Wi-Fi, or to at least one of them?

Apr 23, 2023 11:05 AM in response to ohblueboy

Some possibilities for the current offline status of the almighty iPhone.....

1) The almighty iPhone was powered off more than a day or so ago

2) The battery in the almighty iPhone has run down

3) The almighty iPhone does not have a connection to the Internet where it is currently located

All that you can do is keep trying every 6-8 hours or to see if the status of the almighty phone will change.

Best to be realistic about his. There is next to a zero chance that you will ever see the almighty phone again. Most stolen phones are on their way to the huge manufacturing plant in China after a few days.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

Apr 23, 2023 11:14 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Lol. Thanks for replying. I did not loose my phone. I am just preparing in case. The answer to 1, 2 and 3 is no. I would never expect to get the phone back. My only concern would be to protect all my info on the phone. If I did truly loose my phone right now, I would be extremely upset because I did everything as instructed and would not be able to erase or lock the phone at this point. Thank You

find my iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.