Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

14 pro battery health

what could be the reason for my 14pro battery health dropping rapidly to 93% from 100 in 7 month and the device is also getting hotter for a shorter period of use

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 11:52 AM

Well, let's see. On average over a period of months, you should expect the Health / Mac Capacity to drop about 1% a month.

But, that's an average. The phone....especially if it is not that old.....might go 3-4 months without dropping at all, then drop 2-4% the next month.

My phone is almost 12 months old. The Max Cap is 89%, so my battery is performing on average. I don't pay much attention to the battery though, I check it maybe every few months.

If your phone is 7 months old and the Max Cap is 93%, then your battery is also performing in an average way. Nothing wrong with your battery. The battery is working a bit harder to charge now....that is why the phone might be warmer. No reason for concern unless you see a message on the screen that the battery is overheating.

Expect to replace the battery at roughly around 2 years of age. Might be a bit sooner, might be a bit later. Replace when battery is at 80%.

You can certainly make an appointment at the Apple Store or take the phone to an authorized Apple Service shop to have the battery checked out. But, I'll bet that the tech will say that your battery is doing just fine.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2023 11:52 AM in response to Basilbenoy

Well, let's see. On average over a period of months, you should expect the Health / Mac Capacity to drop about 1% a month.

But, that's an average. The phone....especially if it is not that old.....might go 3-4 months without dropping at all, then drop 2-4% the next month.

My phone is almost 12 months old. The Max Cap is 89%, so my battery is performing on average. I don't pay much attention to the battery though, I check it maybe every few months.

If your phone is 7 months old and the Max Cap is 93%, then your battery is also performing in an average way. Nothing wrong with your battery. The battery is working a bit harder to charge now....that is why the phone might be warmer. No reason for concern unless you see a message on the screen that the battery is overheating.

Expect to replace the battery at roughly around 2 years of age. Might be a bit sooner, might be a bit later. Replace when battery is at 80%.

You can certainly make an appointment at the Apple Store or take the phone to an authorized Apple Service shop to have the battery checked out. But, I'll bet that the tech will say that your battery is doing just fine.

Apr 23, 2023 11:42 AM in response to Basilbenoy

There is nothing wrong with your battery.

Batteries degrade over time with usage due to chemical aging, that's just how they work.

You can expect about a 1% drop per month with average use on an iPhone.

Apple recommends replacing it when it reaches 80%.

iPhone Battery Replacement.

iPhone Battery Repair & Replacement - Apple Support

About Lithium Ion Batteries

iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support (IN)

Here are some tips on maximizing battery life.

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Apr 23, 2023 11:45 AM in response to Basilbenoy

Battery health is supposed to decrease over time.

Around 1% per month is normal, it will vary depending on how often you discharge and charge the battery.

Environmental factors also will affect it, such as cold or hot environments.

When it drops to 80%, Apple recommends you replace the battery.

If you believe your phone is getting abnormally hot and malfunctioning, contact Apple Support to have your phone checked.

Apr 23, 2023 11:50 AM in response to Basilbenoy

Additional to the comments from Bob Timmons, remember your iPhone is a mass produced device and its battery measurements are not individually calibrated. That means you can probably expect noticeable uncertainty in the value presented, maybe up to about 5-10% margin. However, the same error will occur every time you check (its using the same electronic components) so a more useful measure is the trend of measured capacity from month to month. If you see (say) about 93% every time over several months, your battery capacity is probably unchanged, and there is nothing to worry about.

Apple usually considers a battery has run its useful life and should be replaced when it reaches 80%. You have plenty of capacity in hand before there is a problem.

Apr 23, 2023 11:56 AM in response to Basilbenoy

Basilbenoy wrote:

but this month battery dropped to 93 from 98 that’s what worries me

Don't worry about it, battery capacity and health is notoriously difficult to measure accurately in a small device, and it is also sensitive to temperature and the actual state of charge (full or in need of charging?). The only real way is to load the battery and measure the voltage as it discharges - you can't do that, and you really don't want to do deep discharge too often to any Lithium battery.

The real test is whether your iPhone stands up to provide the service you need for the day without needing abnormal or excessive charging. If it does what you need then stop worrying about the numbers.

Apr 23, 2023 12:08 PM in response to Basilbenoy

but this month battery dropped to 93 from 98 that’s what worries me

The phone is 7 months old. The battery should be at about 93%. It might stay at 93% for 3-4 months, then drop 4% again.

When the phone is 12 months old, expect the Health to be about 88-89%.

Check the phone again in 4-5 months. Stop worrying about the month to month stuff. You will drive yourself crazy if you check the battery every week or month.

If the battery drops below 80% and you have AppleCare, you get a free battery.

14 pro battery health

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.