Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Photos moving slice of imported photos to other side of picture - solutions?

Just imported loads of Jpegs with "Fine" image quality from my new Fuji camera and some selected photos have either a strip of a quarter ich moved from left to right side or top to bottom. When I open the picture it is fine and then a second later Photos applies the change it seems like. The thumbnail looks fine. Tried to export the photo, but the problem was still in the exported file. Running Photos 6.0 on Unfortunately deleted the pictures of my SD card before i saw the problem. Sad if I cannot trust photos to handle my pictures. Funny thing is that if I look at the picture on my iphone via Icloud upload the pictures seems totally fine.

Anyone with a similar problem found a solution?

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 12:30 AM

It looks like a JPEG corruption caused by transmission errors when transferring the photos from the card. JPEGs are a highly compressed image format and a single bit error can move huge blocks of the image somewhere else. (Corrupted Originals, the Insidious Danger - How to Protect our Photo Libraries - Apple Community)

How did you erase the card? Did you format it in the camera? If not, you may be able to use data recovery software to try to import the photos again.

But I would first test, if your cart is the problem, the cable, or the plug.

Have you tested, If you are getting the same result, when you take a new photo on a different card, or use a different card reader, cable, USB port?

Sometimes exporting a corrupted JPEG file as a tiff or another format will repair it. Try it with one of your files.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2023 12:30 AM in response to Jokarlsen

It looks like a JPEG corruption caused by transmission errors when transferring the photos from the card. JPEGs are a highly compressed image format and a single bit error can move huge blocks of the image somewhere else. (Corrupted Originals, the Insidious Danger - How to Protect our Photo Libraries - Apple Community)

How did you erase the card? Did you format it in the camera? If not, you may be able to use data recovery software to try to import the photos again.

But I would first test, if your cart is the problem, the cable, or the plug.

Have you tested, If you are getting the same result, when you take a new photo on a different card, or use a different card reader, cable, USB port?

Sometimes exporting a corrupted JPEG file as a tiff or another format will repair it. Try it with one of your files.

Apr 27, 2023 8:03 AM in response to léonie

Thanks léonie. Based on reading that post, it would seem that is the issue. Good to learn early on not to "delete after import". I used SD card with a USB-C reader and hit on delete after import in the photos app. I then took a second second round of photos with the SD card. I will try to recover them, but the space on the cards might be overwritten.

I will surely test the two cards that I am using next time as well as evaluating the SD-card reader. I am also planning to move to always shoot with Raw + Jpeg. As well as always take second backups and evaluate both for errors.

Thanks for your help again :)

Photos moving slice of imported photos to other side of picture - solutions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.