Free Antivirus Software for Mac

Do you have any recommendations for an antivirus app for Mac? I see a lot of antivirus apps on the app store and the internet, but I don't know which ones I can trust.

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 6:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 7:54 AM

Sorry, but as others have said, you cannot trust any of them and I can guarantee you will eventually have problems if you use one. There is no additional anti-virus needed and you just need to follow safe practices of web browsing, such as:

• Don't install Safari Extensions
  • Don't accept website notifications
  • Don't allow Popup Windows
  • Don't trust links in Mail that it will take you to a legitimate site.
  • Don't use any Cleaner apps or apps that say they will speed up your computer.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2023 7:54 AM in response to JustSomeAverageJoe

Sorry, but as others have said, you cannot trust any of them and I can guarantee you will eventually have problems if you use one. There is no additional anti-virus needed and you just need to follow safe practices of web browsing, such as:

• Don't install Safari Extensions
  • Don't accept website notifications
  • Don't allow Popup Windows
  • Don't trust links in Mail that it will take you to a legitimate site.
  • Don't use any Cleaner apps or apps that say they will speed up your computer.

Jan 19, 2024 9:29 AM in response to Integer11

Integer11 wrote:

I have been using CleanMyMac X for years on both my MacBook Air and on my iMac M2 chip desktop... and I love the user friendly interface of the CleanMyMac X. It has worked for me and I am using it right now on a friends computer and it did find and remove the malware from that dumb Microsoft Pop Up Scam Problem. I am *assuming that Apple would not allow a bad application to exist for all these years on their applications list if it was bad. Is this a safe assumption?

The fact that pharmacies sell candy doesn't mean that sugar is good for you.

Apr 23, 2023 6:35 PM in response to JustSomeAverageJoe

JustSomeAverageJoe Said:

"Free Antivirus Software for Mac: Do you have any recommendations for an antivirus app for Mac? I see a lot of antivirus apps on the app store and the internet, but I don't know which ones I can trust."

-------

Which A/V Software to Use with a Mac:

You can't trust any. Security Software just gets in the way on a Mac. Read the forums, and you'd find out how and why. So, use Malwarebytes for Mac.

Security Software:

As for security software, get and use only Malwarebytes for Mac. This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it every now and then, and remove what is found from the quarantine. Once removed, restart the Mac. It is created by longtime users of these forums. So, that is why it is the only way to go about securing your Mac, when it comes through use of software.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

May 5, 2024 5:17 AM in response to Mrssmytha2k23

Mrssmytha2k23 wrote:

how do you know if you have a virus then as I keep getting a notification there is a virus and it takes me to an anti virus thing on safari.?

Mrssmytha2k23 wrote:

and it saying my iCloud is hacked ?>

Sounds to me like you are getting scam notifications from criminals who want to frighten you into giving them your financial information, so they can rip you off, clean you out, or sell your name ("easy mark") and information to other lazy criminals who can't be bothered to compile their own lists of potential victims.

Ask yourself how they would know if you had a virus? When they say that you have a "trojan virus", that you have some huge number of viruses, or that "your iCloud is being hacked!!!", that's a classic scam. They'd love it if they knew enough about your bank account to reach out and clean it out without your help, but they don't, so they are resorting to these "phishing" tactics to scam you.

If the examples in this User Tip look familiar, you may find that blocking Web notifications (as described) settles their hash.

Stop unwanted Notifications - Apple Community

Also see:

Federal Trade Commission – How To Spot, Avoid, and Report Tech Support Scams

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Jan 21, 2024 12:20 PM in response to TheLittles

TheLittles wrote:

JustSomeAverageJoe Said:
Then how do I scan for malware using MacOS's built in antivirus (XProtect)?
———-

As I mentioned above:

Malwarebytes for Mac:

Last I checked, Malwarebytes wasn't MacOS's built-in antivirus protection. And that's what the poster was asking about. But, more to the point, the question was asked and answered in May.

Jan 20, 2024 7:31 PM in response to JustSomeAverageJoe

JustSomeAverageJoe Said:

Then how do I scan for malware using MacOS's built in antivirus (XProtect)?

———-

As I mentioned above:

Malwarebytes for Mac:

Get and use only Malwarebytes for Mac. This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it every now and then, and remove what is found from the quarantine. Once removed, restart the Mac. It is created by longtime users of these forums. So, that is why it is the only way to go about securing your Mac, when it comes through use of software.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

Jan 19, 2024 9:27 AM in response to JustSomeAverageJoe

I have been using CleanMyMac X for years on both my MacBook Air and on my iMac M2 chip desktop... and I love the user friendly interface of the CleanMyMac X. It has worked for me and I am using it right now on a friends computer and it did find and remove the malware from that dumb Microsoft Pop Up Scam Problem. I am *assuming that Apple would not allow a bad application to exist for all these years on their applications list if it was bad. Is this a safe assumption?

Free Antivirus Software for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.