Activation lock

I had to get a new Apple ID. I don’t remember my last one but I am trying to pair my old watch with my new Apple ID. It won’t let me because of the activation lock which I don’t remember setting up in the first place. How do I pair it with my new phone? (I do not have my old Apple ID information)

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2023 8:52 PM

If you don’t have valid proof of purchase your request to remove activation lock will be denied. The only other option would be setting up account recovery on the original Apple ID the watch is activation locked to. This requires knowing the actual Apple ID email, and you have to be able to confirm the trusted phone number on file with that account. Note that you only need to confirm it, you do not need to have access to it. Don’t set up account recovery on the Apple ID until the activation lock removal request has been denied.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2023 8:52 PM in response to meryl165

If you don’t have valid proof of purchase your request to remove activation lock will be denied. The only other option would be setting up account recovery on the original Apple ID the watch is activation locked to. This requires knowing the actual Apple ID email, and you have to be able to confirm the trusted phone number on file with that account. Note that you only need to confirm it, you do not need to have access to it. Don’t set up account recovery on the Apple ID until the activation lock removal request has been denied.

Apr 23, 2023 9:33 PM in response to meryl165

Apr 23, 2023 7:38 PM in response to meryl165

meryl165 Said:

"Activation lock: I had to get a new Apple ID. I don’t remember my last one but I am trying to pair my old watch with my new Apple ID. It won’t let me because of the activation lock which I don’t remember setting up in the first place. How do I pair it with my new phone? (I do not have my old Apple ID information)"

-------

Refer to the link provided atop this thread.

Apr 23, 2023 9:02 PM in response to meryl165

Interesting. You can try to erase all content and settings of the watch and see if it will proceed with pairing. IF it doesn’t, contact Apple Support.

1. Place the watch on the charger and leave it there during this process
  2. press and hold both the Digital Crown and side button at the same time until you see a black screen
  3. once you see the black screen, release both buttons. You’ll then see the Apple logo appear. Once you do, press and HOLD the side button until you see reset/erase all content and settings. Confirm the erase. It may take up to a minute to appear.
  4. Whenever you see the watch show a loading grey circle, its successfully erasing. It may go to sleep during this time. That’s normal.
  5. once the erase is complete, it should restart on the pairing simulation.
  6. Try to pair it again. If still getting the alert about activation lock to a deleted Apple ID account, contact Apple Support.

Apr 23, 2023 8:46 PM in response to TheLittles

I have submitted and unlock request hoping that they approve it. I bought this watch back in 2019 with AirPods and don’t have proof of purchase but that same night hours after I bought it I did set it up so my old Apple ID is the only phone it has been paired with. I don’t know what else to do cause if I can’t unlock it then it just goes into the trash and I don’t want that to happen. Are there any other options. — I do not have my old Apple ID password or username.

Apr 23, 2023 8:52 PM in response to meryl165

meryl165 Said:

"Activation lock: I bought this watch back in 2019 with AirPods and don’t have proof of purchase[...]Are there any other options. — I do not have my old Apple ID password or username."

-------

Recovering Without a Proof of Purchase:

No. this is not an option, if you do not have a proof of purchase. So, take this as a learning experience, knowing to always keep a proof of purchase at hand. That way, you have something to provide, when you need to restore it.

Apr 23, 2023 8:57 PM in response to meryl165

If you specifically deleted the account using privacy.apple.com, then the watch should not even be activation locked to that account anymore to begin with, due to it no longer existing. This may be a software error if the watch is also extremely out of date.

Is your watch showing the pairing simulation on the display, or does it show your watch face? I would recommend contacting Apple Support with the serial number so they may confirm the status of the activation lock, and go from there.

Activation lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.