Won’t allow password change

iPad and/or iCloud will not allow password change for a third party website. I’ve tried everything including hard rebooting and logging out of iCloud on all accounts l

iPad Pro (6th generation)

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 12:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 4:51 AM

Presumably you are attempting to change a website password from your stored passwords (your Keychain) in iPad settings?

Not all websites will “play nicely” with the semi-automated password change and update process. Sometimes it will be necessary to sign-in to the website or online service - and make changes to your account settings/password there. Having done so, you can manually update your saved password from iPad settings:

Settings > Passwords

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2023 4:51 AM in response to terry78

Presumably you are attempting to change a website password from your stored passwords (your Keychain) in iPad settings?

Not all websites will “play nicely” with the semi-automated password change and update process. Sometimes it will be necessary to sign-in to the website or online service - and make changes to your account settings/password there. Having done so, you can manually update your saved password from iPad settings:

Settings > Passwords

Apr 24, 2023 10:13 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for the idea. I tried it, it did not work. I can change the password on the website directly and the new password saves and works later. The keychain saves both passwords, old and new, in two separate entries even though it’s the exact same website URL. The old password doesn’t get replaced. When I try to manually delete the old password it reappears within a minute. I’ve manually deleted both the new and old passwords and the old one reappears, never the new one.

Won’t allow password change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.