Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Are there any SSDs on the market that are backward compatible to Thunderbolt 2

I'm in a desperate quandary. So much disinformation about whether thunderbolt 3 SSDs are backward compatible with adapters to Thunderbolt 2.

I've wasted time and money on LaCie d2 Pro drive which has a power adapter, but no luck, won't even turn on. I need a fast 4-6 TB, but can't buy any new thunderbolt 2 drives as they have been phased out. I'm on Mac OS Monterey Mac Pro Late 2013. I need something that will hold my extensive music software libraries, that can run sufficiently enough as I do know, that even if backward capability works, I won't have the thunderbolt 3 speeds.

Mac Pro, macOS 12.6

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 8:19 AM

You need to realize that the USB-C connectors do not mean Thunderbolt. USB-C is a connector type.

If you want a drive which will work with the Thunderbolt 2 port on your older Mac, then you need to purchase a drive which specifically mentions Thunderbolt support. Drives supporting the Thunderbolt protocol are usually more expensive than the more common drives supporting just the USB protocol.

If you purchase an external SSD supporting Thunderbolt 3 or 4 with a USB-C connector, then you will need to also purchase an Apple USB-C Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter, as well as an older Thunderbolt 2 Cable with the mini-displayport connectors for the older Mac.

The majority of external SSDs available with USB-C connectors will only be supporting the USB 3 (or possibly 4) protocol. So check the products technical specifications to make sure it supports the protocol you want.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2023 8:19 AM in response to BabeRuth

You need to realize that the USB-C connectors do not mean Thunderbolt. USB-C is a connector type.

If you want a drive which will work with the Thunderbolt 2 port on your older Mac, then you need to purchase a drive which specifically mentions Thunderbolt support. Drives supporting the Thunderbolt protocol are usually more expensive than the more common drives supporting just the USB protocol.

If you purchase an external SSD supporting Thunderbolt 3 or 4 with a USB-C connector, then you will need to also purchase an Apple USB-C Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter, as well as an older Thunderbolt 2 Cable with the mini-displayport connectors for the older Mac.

The majority of external SSDs available with USB-C connectors will only be supporting the USB 3 (or possibly 4) protocol. So check the products technical specifications to make sure it supports the protocol you want.

Apr 25, 2023 9:16 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks for the clear explanation! I have heard though that the SSD will still need to be powered up via an electrical power plug, is this true? I have already purchased the Thunderbolt 3-2 adaptor and thunderbolt 2 cable.

When trying to test the LaCie D2 Pro it simply would not turn on. I even tried plugging into a wall socket and nothing happen. Dead as a Door Mouse....so I today have sent the LaCie back requesting a refund. Any ideas where I should look for an SSD that actually works?

Apr 25, 2023 9:23 AM in response to BabeRuth

As HWTech was trying to say, The LaCie D2 professional is NOT a Thunderbolt enclosure, it is a USB-C enclosure.

If you insist on ThunderBolt connection, you will have to shop extremely carefully and pay way more to obtain a Genuine ThunderBolt drive enclosure.

-OR- get by with 500-ish M Bytes/sec max (ten times faster than a rotating magnetic drive) and and hook up via USB-3.

Apr 25, 2023 9:34 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

ThunderBolt-2:

OtherWorldComputing is a Mac-centric vendor that has two ThunderBolt-2 devices available:

https://www.owc.com/solutions/mercury-elite-pro-dual-thunderbolt

https://www.owc.com/solutions/thunderbay-4-mini-thunderbolt-2

... on careful reading, you will see that these enclosures accept SATA drives, so are subject to similar speed limitations of 6 G bits/sec (about 600 M Bytes/sec per drive).

Apr 26, 2023 4:05 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks so very much for the help and the links. I just had a thought??? Would it not be better for me to buy a thunderbolt 3 SSD Enclosure drive (I already have the thunderbolt 3-2 adaptor and Thunderbolt Male to Male 2 Cable) as at some stage I most likely will have to upgrade to a newer model Mac? And therefore the newer model Thunderbolt 3 SSD would be compatible with the newer model Macs?

Are there any SSDs on the market that are backward compatible to Thunderbolt 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.