Related Article: Protecting Security Information

What AirPort Extreme base station is this update available

What model AirPort Extreme base station needs this update

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 11:38 AM

I cannot find any AirPort Extreme with this model number. It might be a model that was available outside of the U.S.

Is this a flat AirPort Extreme or is this a tall AirPort Extreme?

Did you follow my instructions to see if any update is available for the AirPort Extreme? It does not really matter which model you have, if an update is available, you would want to install it. Unfortunately though, the "security" updates are now 4 years out of date.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2023 11:38 AM in response to benjaminfromgalloway

I cannot find any AirPort Extreme with this model number. It might be a model that was available outside of the U.S.

Is this a flat AirPort Extreme or is this a tall AirPort Extreme?

Did you follow my instructions to see if any update is available for the AirPort Extreme? It does not really matter which model you have, if an update is available, you would want to install it. Unfortunately though, the "security" updates are now 4 years out of date.

Apr 24, 2023 11:11 AM in response to benjaminfromgalloway

If your AirPort Extreme is tall, like a "tower", the most recent update is 7.9.1.

If your AirPort Extreme is flat, like a small white pizza box, the most recent update is 7.8.1

Open AirPort Utility and click on the AirPort Extreme and a smaller window will appear

Look for Version to see what is currently installed on your AirPort

If an Update button appears, you can click to update to the "latest" version. If no Update button appears, you already have the most recent update, which is now about 4 years old.

Apr 25, 2023 3:04 PM in response to benjaminfromgalloway

That's totally up to you. FWIW, I still have an Apple Time Capsule that is still in use. Not so much for Time Machine anymore, but as a simple file server.

I'm a believer in the "if it works, don't fix it" adage ... so, if you have a networking goal that this Extreme can satisfy for you, you might as well still use it. We're still a few years off until WPA3 / IPv6 / 802.11 ax gets used universally.

Apr 26, 2023 3:38 PM in response to Tesserax

Thx for your feedback. I use an Arris sb 6183 modem with the A 1408 router this gives me 201 mbps d/l and 24 u/l Xfinity says I get 1 gb on my Wi-Fi. I have an Arris sbg 10 modem-router I can substitute which may utilize the Wi-Fi signal better but changing devices with Xfinity can be tedious to say the least. Thanks again for your knowledgeable feedback as it’s always appreciated!

Dec 2, 2023 4:12 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I have & am still using 3 separate Apple Airport Extreme Base Stations.

They are all connected (extended) via ethernet cable.

I have 2 in the house & 1 in a separate building in my back yard.

They are all being used on a fiber optic system owned & operated by my city.

I get internet service & Cable TV service from that system.

All 3 have worked flawlessly over the years & actually still do - but I think it is time to purchase new routers for security reasons.

Yes, I know this is a subjective decision, but I was wondering what past Apple Airport Extreme Base Stations might be gravitating to & why?

What AirPort Extreme base station is this update available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.