I would like to delete my Visa card from my payment method

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 6:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 12:39 AM

You may need to have a valid payment method on file, even if the app you want to download is free.

You can have a credit card / debit card on file and an Apple Account balance.

If you have set your Apple Account balance as your default payment method, your default payment method will be used first by Apple when you need to make a payment.

Some purchases might require you to have a credit card on file, even if you use your Apple Account balance to make the purchase.

See the following Apple articles:

If you need to change or update your Apple ID payment method

If you need to change or update your Apple ID payment method - Apple Support

Remove a payment method from your Apple ID

Remove a payment method from your Apple ID - Apple Support

⤵️

If you can't remove a payment method

If you have subscriptions like iCloud+, have an unpaid balance, or you use purchase sharing, you must keep at least one payment method on file.

Payment methods you can use with your Apple ID

Payment methods you can use with your Apple ID – Apple Support (UK)

fyi: Not all credit & debit cards seem to work with App Store / iTunes Store, try a different one, or preferably a credit card. If your card is not accepted as a paymenf method, you need to contact your bank.

If you still need help, get more help and assistant from Apple directly, see Contact Apple for support and service -> Contact Apple for support and service – Apple Support (UK) 

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2023 12:39 AM in response to flora60

You may need to have a valid payment method on file, even if the app you want to download is free.

You can have a credit card / debit card on file and an Apple Account balance.

If you have set your Apple Account balance as your default payment method, your default payment method will be used first by Apple when you need to make a payment.

Some purchases might require you to have a credit card on file, even if you use your Apple Account balance to make the purchase.

See the following Apple articles:

If you need to change or update your Apple ID payment method

If you need to change or update your Apple ID payment method - Apple Support

Remove a payment method from your Apple ID

Remove a payment method from your Apple ID - Apple Support

⤵️

If you can't remove a payment method

If you have subscriptions like iCloud+, have an unpaid balance, or you use purchase sharing, you must keep at least one payment method on file.

Payment methods you can use with your Apple ID

Payment methods you can use with your Apple ID – Apple Support (UK)

fyi: Not all credit & debit cards seem to work with App Store / iTunes Store, try a different one, or preferably a credit card. If your card is not accepted as a paymenf method, you need to contact your bank.

If you still need help, get more help and assistant from Apple directly, see Contact Apple for support and service -> Contact Apple for support and service – Apple Support (UK) 

Apr 25, 2023 5:04 AM in response to flora60

flora60 wrote:

To find out how to remove a payment method, and what to do if you can't remove your last payment method or use no payment method with your Apple ID, read this article --> Remove a payment method from your Apple ID - Apple Support

Note that ongoing subscriptions and Family Sharing organizers must always have a payment method present. To edit the cards used for those you may need to first add the new card and make it the primary payment method before removing the old card (see: If you need to change or update your Apple ID payment method - Apple Support ).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.