Blocking contacts/messages feature not working

Hi! I can’t block contacts and their messages and keep receiving spam. I’ve tried rebooting my phone, like somebody here recommended, but it’s still not working. I’m trying to block by Icon button and Block This Caller, but as soon as I hit Done and go back to check the info, it still says Block This Caller instead of Unblock.

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 2:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 5:30 AM

Probably the number you are trying to block is a one-way SMS. You may receive but cannot reply so you can't block.

Do they look like this; BZ-656505, BZ-656700, BZ-624365, TX-BLWHRN etc. Thye can't be blocked. Please contact your Carrier.

Blocking is always two-ways

Types of SMS services known to me.

One-way SMS: A business may have something to say, so they may send a single text message blast to get the word out. For example; Promotional SMS, Notices, Verification Codes, Bank OTPs, Transaction Confirmation, offers, Coupon, Discounts, Flash SMS, Reminders etc

Two-way SMS: This is what most of us use.

SMS Chatbots: The chatbot will allow an organisation's clients to start or stop a service or interact with FAQs.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2023 5:30 AM in response to lera_k

Probably the number you are trying to block is a one-way SMS. You may receive but cannot reply so you can't block.

Do they look like this; BZ-656505, BZ-656700, BZ-624365, TX-BLWHRN etc. Thye can't be blocked. Please contact your Carrier.

Blocking is always two-ways

Types of SMS services known to me.

One-way SMS: A business may have something to say, so they may send a single text message blast to get the word out. For example; Promotional SMS, Notices, Verification Codes, Bank OTPs, Transaction Confirmation, offers, Coupon, Discounts, Flash SMS, Reminders etc

Two-way SMS: This is what most of us use.

SMS Chatbots: The chatbot will allow an organisation's clients to start or stop a service or interact with FAQs.

Blocking contacts/messages feature not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.