Delete and reset Itunes library

My library and what ends up on my Iphone is a complete disaster. I've struggled with this for a month. How can I completely start over? I can find no other way. It seems the meta data is corrupted.

Posted on Apr 25, 2023 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2023 6:40 AM

You can delete the iTunes Library.itl file, and iTunes will either silently create a new empty one, or complain that the library is missing and prompt you to choose or create a new one. If you're signed into your Apple ID then an empty library will include cloud links to your unhidden purchase history with the iTunes Store. You can then import locally stored files. When you make changes to the properties of tracks in your library they are generally written back to the files, so starting from scratch won't necessarily fix your issues. Perhaps you could describe this disaster in a little more detail in case there is another approach you could take.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2023 6:40 AM in response to ekins81

You can delete the iTunes Library.itl file, and iTunes will either silently create a new empty one, or complain that the library is missing and prompt you to choose or create a new one. If you're signed into your Apple ID then an empty library will include cloud links to your unhidden purchase history with the iTunes Store. You can then import locally stored files. When you make changes to the properties of tracks in your library they are generally written back to the files, so starting from scratch won't necessarily fix your issues. Perhaps you could describe this disaster in a little more detail in case there is another approach you could take.

tt2

Dec 13, 2023 7:11 PM in response to ekins81

When I have a CD that sometimes gets imported from my iTunes to my playlist and my iPhone sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn’t now they are all grade out when they go to my phone but I can play them in my iTunes library on my desktop? If I delete my entire account and reload the music on my computer, will that fix it or what do I do, the CD was purchased in the United States and is 15 years old and I don’t understand what’s going on is driving me crazy

Jan 27, 2024 8:51 AM in response to Jim007_taken

Apologies for the late reply. Greyed out tracks on the device when view in iTunes/Music and the "not valid in your region" message when you try to play things appear to be the result of incomplete transfers that don't get repaired by subsequent syncing. The solution seems to be using Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Music > Edit > All Songs > Delete to remove all songs, and then try syncing again. You could also try being more surgical, only removing the items that are causing you a problem.

tt2

Delete and reset Itunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.